Reliability issues

I am interested in a 2009 Premeium XF with 100K miles. Owner has had it one year and states that it has been very reliable. Previous owner had it to dealer for complete service but I dont have records to inspect. How reliable have these cars been ? What are the issues?

Roger,

At 100K miles it will need the cam belts changed soon (105K miles). Have a look here for some UK experiences. The diesel engine being the more popular option.
http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/58634-To-buy-or-not-to-buy-that-is-the-question

Art

Thanks Artie. It’s the v8

2011 XF Premium V8 , I am on my 4th water pump ???

To add to this thread
2009 SuperCharged. We bought in 2012; had been a lease car prior to coming on the auction block. Has been very reliable for us until this year. Approx 50,000 miles. Had issue with the thermostat sticking open so car did not reach operating temp fast enough and threw code. New thermostat fixed that. Then Front and rear suspension issues developed with bushings splitting. And the drive shaft middle bearing wore out. Thankfully my extended warranty covered all that.
Now having the TPMS system going nuts. But the sensors are 10 years old so maybe the batteries? Or maybe the TPMS module? For now doing things the old fashioned way - – tire pressure gauge prior to driving and then ignore the TPMS Check Tire Pressure warning. Will report back after we resolve this.

Over all I am pretty happy with this car

This may seem late to the party, but I just soon follow the administrator’s guidelines of consolidating questions under existing threads. I have my eyes on the XF (not any specific vehicle in particular), but as I do with most larger expenditures, I like to be as knowledgeable as possible before taking the financial plunge. I know I was reading about what to look for in an XJ40 between five to ten years before I pulled the “purchase trigger”. And I ended up with one and now two phenomenal examples of THE car that I desired since high school.

All right, I am in the USA, and would welcome any suggestions (from anywhere) as to model year(s) that I might want to focus on. I’m unconcerned with model year regarding styling as each is so similar to my uncivilized visual comprehension. Basically, I am interested in the model years that have less finicky dispositions / less likely to cause major problems for me and my wallet.

The Ingenium engine models are reputedly one of the most reliable, but one can publish / broadcast most anything on the Internet. I have read about the rattles in the sunroofs on 2009 and 2010 MY cars, but that’s not going to leave me stranded and with a money pit.

So if it is possible to cut to the chase after this diatribe, what might be a good US market model for someone not concerned with sports car performance?

On my Hyundai, I find black gaffers tape over the light works well.

:grimacing:

Yeah Wigs I remember that recommendation.
Interestingly, replacing the engine ECU fixed that TPMS as a side benefit to the engine idle and driveability issue that cropped up later.

And final solution ---- wifey traded it for a 2018 MB GLC 300 that only had 2418 miles. :grin:

1 Like