Remedy for Cracks in Taillights, Anyone?

Been trying to spruce Superblack up since her arrival, and noticed unfortunately (one of those “little things” that usually doesn’t show up in Ebay photos :roll_eyes: ) that she has 3 or 4 cracks in her (high $$$ :moneybag: and very scarce) taillight segments. Also, a small chip in one top corner of a segment that MAY be big enough to let water in during a car wash or some such (had to wonder why her boot lid carpet piece was missing as well as the cover left off the back of the LH light assembly upon arrival). Won’t know for sure on that until her first car wash. Anyway, wondering what I can use on the cracks and the chip to make them less noticeable as well as keep them from getting worse (and to block out the entry of water). One possible solution I have thought of is clear fingernail polish, others are (1) clear RTV sealant (2) that clear adhesive sealant someone mentioned earlier (“Amazing GOOP”) and (3) that clear silicone sealant that Kirby mentions for use on the distributor rotor. I’m a little leery of certain things though b/c I know that (clear) plastic can be “crazed” by the application of the wrong stuff. :grimacing: btw, I’m wondering now why her turn signals are out, and wonder if water did get in the assembly if that could cause the flasher relay to blow somehow (vs. the fuse) ? :confused: Isn’t it pretty rare to have the flasher go bad in an XJ-S, esp. with less than 100K miles on the clock?

I’ve used this, with some success.

https://www.ebay.com/i/281214196464?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=281214196464&targetid=800915013577&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=1497794122&mkgroupid=56281259685&rlsatarget=pla-800915013577&abcId=1139466&merchantid=8568984&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18L0uomV5QIVBL3sCh2T0A_MEAQYAiABEgJq9fD_BwE

Thanks, Paul #2 … I don’t think that will work though with our sealed, smoked-gray color tail lights on the face-lifts, though. :slightly_frowning_face: It would have to be something in the way of a clear liquid to be applied with a tiny brush, I would think.

Well… buy a damn car with proper red tail lights!!

:wink:

Sorry… outta ideas!

LOL … I always wondered why Jag went to that style with the face-lifts, but then we had something similar with the switch to the XJ40s for saloons. :thinking:

I know with the smoky lights on the XJ40 that some vendors could supply the lenses, it meant that you had to smash out the existing covers and clean up the track where they attached to the housing, I did this to mine about 14 years ago now.

You could apply (on the inside of the lens) what used to be called “Crazy Glue.” The stuff that sticks your fingertips together. Just follow the crack from end to end. Maybe silicone for the other part- applied from inside, also.

1 Like

The only trick with the smokey face-lift segments are that the only access to the inside of the lenses is through the holes that the bulbs stick through, meaning to do a good, accurate job that segment would have to first be removed from the car and, even then, carefully worked through the bulb hole(s). Since the outside of the lens is smoke dark, it would be very difficult to work from that side, too … Again, don’t know why Jag, in its great wisdom, thought that style was so hot … The pre-face lift taillights (and The Type IIIs) were quite adequate in appearance, IMHO … :slightly_frowning_face:

I remember doing that too, and boy what a P.I.T.A., since you had to try to remove every little shard of the old lens from the channel/groove that the edge was glued down into in the base, else you couldn’t get the new lens to fully seat into place and it wouldn’t be flush all around and watertight. :confounded: I could swear Jag made those light units as difficult to work on as possible, so you would end up having to buy a whole new unit whenever something happened to the lens. Another “complication” that comes to mind with them are the 4 “sub lenses” inside the unit, as can be seen in your photos. IIRC, those things somehow interlocked with each other to stay in place, aided by the pressure of the smokey lense on them. You had to be careful not to damage them when smashing out the old smokey lens, and even then sometimes they would not stay firmly in place even after you put the new lens on (another reason it was important the new smokey lens fit ALL the way down into the mounting channel/groove on the base). Else you’d get the thing all glued together and then they’d come loose inside and fall to the bottom of the unit. :angry:

Maybe Jag figured it wasn’t even worth coming up with a similar replacement lens system for the XJS, since, being a high $$er model than the XJ40s, XJS owners were more like to have the :moneybag: just to buy a new unit with. ? :thinking:

Clear Epoxy glue mixes very nicely with artists Oil colors.
You mix the colour and then mix it with the epoxy. With trial and error you can get the same colour and transparency.
Build up the hole, then sand and polish.
Works very well.

For the cracks you can use super glue on the outside of the lens, then sand and polish.

1 Like

Two points.

1. Paul beat me to it and with detail. I used that kit or a similar one some time ago. My 94 Olds Achieva had a busted tail light. Bir fed lens. I cemented in a patch. matched fairly decently in appearance. functioned well, and leaked no water!!!

2. Check with David Boger AKA Everyday XJ. Good guy, posts here from time to time. Lots of Jaguar stuff.
    More than XJ’s. Good stuff and reasonable…

3. Fill the “hole” with clear windshield sealer.

CArl

Thanks everyone. After reading the posts and doing some more research online, I think the approach Ill try is to mask off the lens as best I can so just the fracture lines are exposed, and then using a fingernail polish-size brush apply my 3-M clear emblem and trim adhesive to the affected areas (the tube even says it can be used “for taillights”). It should dry clear. When done, may need to sand the treated areas down a bit by hand, before removing the painter’s tape. Before I try this on the real thing, I may experiment first with it on a scrap piece of XJS face-lift taillight that I have. Will report back here the results. :smile:

1 Like

This sounds like a plan. I used fibreglass resin tinted with a little food dye to repair one of my ute’s (truck to you Americans) tail lights. The resin set clear and added strength. Similar to repair with clear epoxy I’d say.

Well, after doing yet more checking, rather than use the emblem adhesive I’m going to try Permatex’s windshield and glass sealant/adhesive. It also come with a micro control tip that I can use to very carefully squeeze out the stuff into the cracks, w/o having to mask anything off. :thinking: