Removal of brake accumulator; help

I am trying to remove and replace my brake accumulator, but it will not budge. Any advice? Used a ratchet with Allen socket and vice grips holding the base. I’ve read to remove the whole assembly, any tutorials for that?

My brake light and anti-lock illuminates every time I press the brake pedal but only in PARK. When driving it doesn’t light up. In PARK every time I depress brake pedal you can hear the electric motor run for approx 1-2 seconds.
When initially putting the key to position two the electric pump runs for approx 1-3 seconds.
When driving braking seems fine maybe a little soft but otherwise fine.
Is this any cause for concern or should I just leave well enough alone?? Thanks

You need to determine if the accumulator is defunct, have you pressurised the accumulator and, with the ignition off, pushed the pedal to see how many pumps it takes to go hard?
If you use the spy glass top right of the page and search ‘accumulator removal’ you will get lots of hits

I have put the car key into position two. Electric motor runs for approx 1-3 seconds. I will then take the key out and start pumping brakes I will guess it goes “hard” after 5 or so pumps because I have sat there and pumped the brakes for 70+ times and the feeling is the same through out.

I used the search function but the best I’ve found so far is “remove assembly” and then separate the accumulator with the use of a vise. I will try searching some more. Sorry if I’m being dense, just don’t want to brake anything.
I also was going to use an impact gun but someone on the board advised against it.

Read some more using the search function will try to re-attack tomorrow hopefully with better results

I use GIANT channel lock pliers or a band type oil filter wrench along with the socket head wrench.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/removal-brake-accumulator%3B-help-234689/

bob

Thanks for the help guys! Got it replaced, here are the results: used GM part# 25676065 it was $104 shipped to the house. Screwed right in, on initial key turn the electric motor filled the ball for approx 30-60 seconds. No more lights at all! Brakes are much better. I believe my rear brakes were not engaging with the old accumulator ball.

Here are some pictures of the set-up I used. 1 and 1/8in wrench holding the base of the assembly and a big long breaker bar and Allen socket. Broke loose on the first try and was able to unscrew by hand after. I did give it a small shot of liquid wrench the night before not sure if that helped as well.

Did you spill much fluid Steven? also - did you have to bleed the system after the swap?

No i depressurized the system by pumping the brakes a lot of times maybe 60 times. I’ve read you only need to pump maybe 30 times though. There was only a little dribble of brake fluid that came out, make sure you flip the ball upside down when you remove it, because fluid from inside the ball will come out.
I did not bleed the brakes afterward but did top off the reservoir to the max line before turning it on.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know if (when) I swap mine!