Removal of Spats from a Mark 2

I would like to remove the spats from my 1962 Mark 2 before having the tires replaced. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood. Do you mean you are looking for a permanent alternative to the spats, or, is your question simply how to remove the spats for tyre changing?

Open the rear door and turn the two large screw “Zeus” screws counter clockwise about a half a turn. Gently pull the forward/leading edge of the spat outward and upward and then you will see the hook at the rear top of the spat holding it to the rear quarter fender. Pull the entire spat up and away from the car. Might as well check the rubber on the car for wear as that is easily replaced and will stop undue vibration noises.

Gerard

I want to remove the spats for replacing tires. Another gentleman gave me a step by step method to remove the spats. Thanks for your time Tigger2.

Jonathan Leet

Many thanks Gerard for your step by step removal method. I just bought a Mark 2 manual and it does not explain it have as precise as you did. Your method worked beautifully.

Jonathan

Use some compressed air in all of the crevices once the spat is removed around the seat and the door seal and you will be amazed at all of the crud. Also use high pressure to clean out the jacking points. I run without the rubber bungs to prevent accumulation of moisture and dirt. You can always put them in for a show.

Not sure what country you are in as you don’t yet have a country flag by your name.

Do some searches for Coombs spats for a different look that would allow wider tires. Or have a look at what Lin Rose did to his spat area with some serious body welding: http://valvechatter.us/?p=9170

Do a search for all of the discussion about tire sizing.

Gerard
Colorado USA

I live in Scottsdale, Arizona! It is collector car city. Thanks for your latest post on the compressed air clean out including the jack holes.

Jonathan

These are called “dzus” fasteners and not “Zeus” fasteners.

Paul