Removal of water pump pulley

I posted this on the XJ6 page , but not sure if its better here

I am wanting to refurbish the water pump on my Xj6 III. I believe the water pump has the part reference GWP427.

When I took the pulley off I noticed that the nut and screw holding the spindle was missing, by which I mean the casting had no threaded hole for the screw. see photo. the question is this detrimental and should the pump be scrapped.

I have a second pump which has the what I think is the earlier pulley, see photo. The manual simply says “using a suitable extractor draw the pulley from the water pump”. As there are no threaded holes like the later pulley I assume it has to be a two or three leg pulley puller, but as the pulley doesn’t allow access the to shaft on which it is fixed I cant see how the pulley puller would work, Can someone explain how to remove this pulley from the shaft. Do I simply use a two or three leg puller and push against a rod put through the bolt hole in the centre of the pulley



Thanks
Howard

Go to sngbarratt.com and they have exploded views of both water pumps listed under Series 3 engine parts.
I would think yes you push a rod or bolt through that hole in the hex part and push against the bearing shaft inside as you pull on the pulley with the 3 leg puller.
Be aware as you press old parts onto the new bearing shaft that you need a tight press fit.
When I rebuilt the 1960s era pump on my XK120, which has a similar bearing shaft, the fan hub later worked itself forward on the bearing shaft. I took it apart and ground a flat spot on the bearing shaft, and drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw that would tighten against that flat spot, thus holding the hub in position.

If there is no threaded hole in the pulley on the black one, that will make life difficult, as they are a tight fit.
(on a S2 with threaded pulley hole)

I would be reluctant to use a 2-3 legged puller, as I have had force distort the pulley edge, where the jaws clamp the pulley, in that case, I have made custom plates that go front/behind to distribute the load, and/or nuts pushing.on studs, but its a confounding one, there must be a way.

I made a custom plate for the earlier 4 stud pumps, despite the FSM stating a legged puller is procedure

Just in case you are interest ed, I found a one piece hose for Pump to Rad a few years ago that fitted perfectly. its fro a peugeot 406, the intercooler pipe , part no. 0382.N4 there one on Ebay, look it up

. today I removed the pulley on the pump not on the car, I took the advise about it been a tight fit, so using a two leg puller and a bolt through the hole that is used to fix the fan. oh yes and a bit of heat to expand the pulley from around the spindle. Success the pulley slipped off revealing the bearing fixing grub screw.

this is making me thinks that the pump without the grub screw may be a fault that slipped through manufacture quality control. however its in the bin.

Its probably not a fault slipping through quality control, its an accountant saying “We can save a shilling by eliminating that grub screw and just pressing that bearing shaft in. Nobody will ever want to take it out. We can just sell them a whole pump.”

1 Like