Removed the drivers suspension

It seems I have no bushings at all! That explains alot of noise. Is there a U.S. supplier that I can get what I need? At a reasonable price,

Rock auto. 5 bucks apiece, though you should check to see if there’s any other bushes missing/disintegrated.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1098959&cc=1178221&jsn=370

Hi Larry check my latest pot and let me know what you think, thanks Dave.

David … welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar rear shock assemblies.

Your isolator bushings are as bad as I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen some bad ones !

Since you have both rear shock assemblies out the next step is to buy or rent a large set of spring compressors to take the assemblies apart.

Although they look quite alike, when you switch from the SLS (hydraulic self leveling system) pictured at the right, to the “normal” system at the left, the large road spring and the metal cap (part #7) are not compatible and need to be replaced.

Parts 15, 5,14, and 13 will also need to be replaced. These are rubber/foam parts that are surely destroyed. Additionally The metal part 12 is a different diameter than #27 and again will need to be replaced.

The reason part #7 has to be replaced is because the hole in the top is now too wide, I have heard of people welding in a filler plate and then drilling it out to the correct size.

Of course you’ll have to take a hard look at the shocks themselves because once you go to all the trouble of pulling the assemblies off the car and disassembling them it doesn’t make much sense putting “iffy” components back in that may fail next week.

That’s the correct way to rebuild these assemblies. I realize this may seem like an overkill, but if you want a nice ride and don’t want to hear that dreaded “clunking” coming from the rear end this is what needs to be done.

Hi grooveman, I found a conversion kit from Welsh enterprises in Ohio # jlm11698k good price but it says it is for an XJ6 1989, would this work on my XJ40 1989?

David,

Another bit of advice. When posting questions on the same subject, it helps if you post them in the same thread to avoid confusion.

Apart from a few foam and rubber bits, you already have “the kit” as your car has already been converted, albeit a KYB conversion …Get a pair of spring compressors on ebay and take the units apart, then you can see exactly what you need, comparing it to the illustration posted by groove up the page.

Makes sense I believe that is the route I will take, thanks everyone for your help. I am a little bummed about having to replace # 7 as that doesn’t look easy to find.

David …

The part number for the rear upper shock mount (sometimes called a top hat) is MMD3570AA and they are readily available.

Coventry West has the best price I can find at $64.25 each.

Great info thanks very much!

Well I got the drivers side apart, not much to work with.

The rest of the assembly

Anyone bave part #for item# 13 moun ting isolator and #12 spacer tube

David,

If you click on the item number in that illustration text you will see the part numbers.

Item 12 is CBC2255 and item 13 is CBC225455.

They should come as part of the shock assembly if genuine Jaguar.

You know you’re in trouble when yoy don’t need to compress the springs to dissassemble them!

I may not know how to operate this stuff as all I show is part and number of part but not part numbers.

That’s because Grooveman only gave you half the story! [Tut tut Dennis! :-)]

Try clicking on the link I sent you in my post in this thread -

• and then click on the item number in the text for which you require the part number.

Bryan …

Your Honor I object. In a U.S. court of law the document speaks for itself !

I just did this same job about two months ago. Its fairly straightforward. I bought some of my parts off Ebay and some from Terry’s. None of the parts for this job should be difficult to locate.

I knew I would have a problem with you fly-boys! :slight_smile:

How can your document speak for itself when you only showed a screenshot of the picture and not the text which would have enabled one to identify the part numbers?

Case proven! :slight_smile: