Removing ABS accumulator withouth throwing it in the atmosphere

I have studied my abs problem and after many thoughts i feel that my problem is the defective accumulator of the Teves ABS system.
My mechanic does not want to change it , because without the “diagnostic computer” he told me that he is not sure that the pressure has drop enought for a safe removal.
Have you ever experienced the accumulator replacement and what is the safe way to remove it without doing a mess or throwing the ball in the space? :slight_smile:

Key OFF and pump the brake pedal until it goes ‘HARD’ and then continue to pump it for 10 or 20 more times.

Remove the accumulator, install the replacement, DONE.

4 Likes

As Motorcarman states pump a lot of times then have plenty of rags to save the paint work from a small leak of brake fluid.

Ok i wil try to remove the ball :slight_smile:

Some accumulator balls have a hex shaped depression in the ‘top’ end (the end opposite the threaded stem) which helps because you can use an L-shaped hex (‘Allen’) wrench. Lacking such a depression you can use a strap wrench to encircle the ball. In either case it is good practice to use a large adjustable wrench to hold the block whilst breaking the ball loose as it can take a good bit of force before the ball pops loose.

This evening I was ready to change the accumulator and finally have my abs working again. The new ball was ready for replacing and with the tools I started the operation after discharging the pressure (it’s simple the pedal is hard just after one push as the old accumulator does not accumulate anything :smiley:.
When I felt that the wrench was turning after a lot of effort I told me that the job was done… but… the wrench rotated but the ball remained locked. I tried with a rubber chain , the ones we use for the oil filter and I managed to brake it , cutting an hand without any movement of the old accumulator. It seems that hulk has screwed the ball…. Now what can i do?

maybe try spraying some penetrating fluid into the threads from below and wait a few hours?

Incredible!! I have bought a big chain wrench to remove the ball , and even if using all my strength I cannot turn the accumulator absolutely. Is completely blocked. I can see where the ball is screwed a red substance maybe a sort of gasket. So any attempt to remove the ball failed….

The red substance could be threadlocker (like Loctite: Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ )

If so, heat would help break the bond but here’s the conundrum - brake fluid is highly flammable ( Is Brake Fluid Flammable? - Fire Safe Living ) so…but elementary points first. Not to be insulting, but you ARE trying to turn the ball counter-clockwise, aren’t you?

In other words, righty-tighty, lefty loosey :wink:

I had to remove the whole unit and hold it in a bench vice to be able to unscrew the accumulator.

Yes of course… even if it is an English car…. The counter clockwise = unscrew is a rule… :joy: .

If the chain wrench grips OK and doesn’t slip, put a pipe over the handle to give you more leverage.

i am afraid of ruining something…

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/removal-brake-accumulator%3B-help-234689/

There’s some pictures I posted in the above forum on how I took mine off.

1 Like

i have found that who installed the ball before used red loctite to block it. I read that it is necessary to use a little buthane torch to unlock it… but i think it is dangerous because brakes fluid is flammable and i think also the old o-ring will be melted…

Id say get a new o ring and a fire extinguisher then.

Also wear some eye protection.

Previous owners often do weird shit.
My xj40 has various things which arent normal. A cut hose there, some weird connector there.

Just today i got a abs warning light out of nowhere
I found the abs wiring in the trunk to be disconnected (the one near the gas tank fill cap). Like why was it disconnected? Wish i could talm to the pervious owner and ask them what they did and why…

Good luck with the removal…

at the end i found a mech that managed to unscrew the accumulator and put the new one. Now the brake pressure light does not blink anymore when i press the brake and the ABS works again :slight_smile:

2 Likes