Removing console

How to remove console XKE 1969

To make sure we are advising you correctly, please post a photo. My S2 69 has factory air. To remove the console you need to take out the black radio/speaker unit. It is just kinda wedged in there and held by two nuts on either side of the tunnel in the footwells. May then be easier to get at the fasteners for the armrest unit by removing the seats.

1 Like

Whereas my OTS w/o AC has the radio console held by two thumb bolts (upper) and two nuts (lower).

Most of the fasteners are obvious (including the seat belt anchors) but an easy one to miss is a flat head screw found (working from memory) just aft of the cross member near the floor on the passenger (RH) side.

I am reinstalling my console but I do not remember a flat head screw, but my OTS is a 67 S1.
BTW, I am reinstalling the console after finally (many years) successfully covering the gear shift surround (parrot’s beak?) without a seam, thanks to your guidance. Stretching the vinyl using your method worked very well, but gluing was another matter.
Rod

Here it is on mine, but maybe it’s a S2 thing…

I don’t have one there, but not to say that there was never one there, but omitted in the past. I am currently fettling the installation such that I can open the instrument panel, which I could do before.
Rod

on my 66 there is a caged sliding nut on the tunnel. A bolt got through the upholstery to this, IIRC. I can see the cage but the upholstery is gone.

Oh, and when you get all the nuts and bolts undone and the gear knob, I believe I had to straddle the transmission hump with the lever in first gear and hand brake pulled up high, lift from the back and I think I had to sort of roll the console out to the left. I had the seats out at the time.

1 Like

It’s missing on my S2.
I’d been wondering about that unused captured fastener for quite a while. It’s not documented in my parts manual.

Do you have an specifications for that screw, Geo?

I’d like to find a suitable replacement, if possible.

- Tom -

I re-removed my console today because I was not happy with the bead around the shift surround, and lo and behold, there is a caged nut on the tunnel which appears to be 1/4"-28. Looking at the console, I must have papered right over the mating hole when I upholstered the tunnel lo those many years ago. Why only on one side? Because of the hand brake on the other side?
Rod

1 Like

By coincidence I just removed my 1974 Series III console today and the small screws holding it down were under the folded-in paper in the tray over the tunnel. It did not have the fastener you mentioned, however. That was the smallest issue I encountered today in the 58 step process to pull the V-12.

That’s always been my assumption. I used a Phillips head screw and stainless finishing washer there. Slotted is probably more correct, but given the choice I prefer Phillips to slotted.