Removing gauge bezels

I need to get the black metal bezels off the gauges so I can clean off the rust and the glass and paint the bezels. The tach and speedo twist till the lugs line up then pull off. The instruments have no obvious means to remove the bezel. There is a small slot on each side, not sure if this is the clue - I did put a small screwdriver in there to see if I could pry but daren’t work that too much without advice…

John North
S1 Roadster

ALL instrument bezels are bayonet-mount, exactly like the speedo and tach. Twist the bezel until the tabs in the bezel line up with the slots in the can, and pull the bezel off. In extreme cases, if they are rusted in place, you may need to use a pick or small screwdriver to slightly bend up the tabs to loosen the fit. Don’t bend them any more than absolutely necessary, as they are easily broken off.

John,
A careful inspection from behind will reveal the tabs that need to line up with the openings in the can. Twisting the bezels if there is a olot of rust underneath can be difficult. Try a little penetrating fluid first.

At the very worst, the bezels are stuck to the perished seals. Keep trying and they’ll eventually yield.

How’s progress on the smart gauge project?

2 Likes