Removing manual overdrive trans - Series 1

Hi,
I need to remove the manual overdrive transmission on my 4.2 Series 1 to switch the overdrive for another unit. When I did the conversion to manual I obviously installed engine and trans as a unit from the top.

I know that the various Jag books advise always removing them together on S1 but is it worth trying to pull the trans from below? The problem I see is the starter bump in the bellhousing fouling the trans tunnel and making it hard to re-install and align the input shaft if I get it out. Looks like no room to pull back without tilting the engine considerably

Anyone have any first-hand experience with doing this?

BTW I’ve pulled transmissions from below dozens of times on other cars and have the necessary jack(s) and other equipment. I just don’t wanna do it like that if it’s gonna be a major problem. Not an emergency if the O/D doesn’t work right now.

~Mike

Tilting the engine and removing the overdrive unit doesn’t work? I thought they were aft of the box and only needed the electrical connection. But I might as well be wrong, only saw a powertrain like yours once, and outside the car.

David

Hi David - it’s would probably work in theory but let me tell ya, mating the overdrive to the transmission is pretty fiddly when doing it with the trans out and sitting vertically on the bellhousing… i figure it’d be even more fun lying on my back trying to line it up with a jack :slight_smile: Definitely a possibility though but I’d rather have the whole transmission out.

~Mike