Removing Radio (1994 XJS)

I want to remove the stock radio from my 1994 Jaguar XJS because the cassette player is not working. Can anyone help with instructions?

As important, does anyone have a stock radio you have removed that works great including the cassette?

Thanks for any help!

Richard

I have extra 1989 radio w cassette. ....fairjumper@yahoo.com

No one responded to my question on how to remove the radio on a 1994 XJS. To help someone who might have the same question, I did remove the radio, and it is very simple:

1. Remove the knobs on the climate control panel by pulling the knobs away from the panel.

2. Unscrew the nuts on the knob shafts.

3. Pull the panel down.

4. Remove the 4 screws holding the radio.

The cassette on my OEM radio was broken. I removed the cassette mechanism from a 94 XJ6 sedan and installed it in my XJS radio. The cassette now works perfectly. This is a much better option as the 94-96 XJS radio is very difficult to find and are very expensive. If anyone is interested in the procedure, I will be happy to help. FWIW, the faceplate from the XJS can also be attached to the sedan radio.

Richard

Richard, I had to chuckle at your post, seeing as you ended up having to answer your own question but thank you, it helped me! But not entirely. Mine is a 1992 XJS V12 convertible and, what w/ the console out to Madera Concepts in California for refinishing, I thought I might as well attend to my radio’s tape deck while things were apart. The wrinkle with my radio is that instead of having 4 screws holding the radio in place, mine had what appear to be 4 rivets, factory original looking business. Any thoughts on how to remove those? Gently drilling the tops of the rivets off for removal followed by a pilot hole for screws for the re-installation looks to be the only way to go. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Peter

Great thing about having a cassette player is to put in one of those adapters so I can plug in my smart phone and shuffle music.

Indeed! But have to get the rascal to work first. I made a management decision. I drilled the ends [of what appear to be rivets] off. Radio slid right out and currently sits in line at a local shop that specializes in this kind of repair. The re-install looks to require some thought… the “rivets” look to have been inserted into brass bushings which sit in a nylon framework. Gently drill out the aluminum rivets, thread metal screws into the brass bushings? Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Wow … I just now saw your post, and b/c no one replied was going to say it’s a PITA - have to remove the shift surround, then the ski slope, etc. Since I had never actually removed mine on one of my XJSes, I was going on the assumption it’s the same process as with my X-300s (and XJ40s). Apparently it is a lot less work on the XJSes. :smile: Nice to know, as my cassette belt has broke too. My thoughts are that the players just get too hot with the backside of the units facing the heater core and catching the heat off it (and the firewall), so eventually that heat fatigues/rots out the rubber drive belts. :thinking: btw, there is a fellow on Ebay who has a '94 one who has restored the system, along with a new belt. He is asking $350.00 for it, but said if I sent him mine as a “core” he would take $100 off it. :+1:

Oh, and btw, you do have the radio security code for your radio, correct? Otherwise you may not be able to get it to work again once reinstalled. :grimacing:

Sorry, bit tardy catching up on messages… yes, a local shop has some fellow whose been working on these for 30 years or so and he made quick work of mine… basically replaced the belts and adjusted something else = $100.00 and it works great! Then the slope arrived about the same time so that’s back and we’re good to go. Driving to Montreal in May so want to get any other loose ends tidied up so we can have a trouble free outing. Thanks for the note back!

Hey Richard, I might have to be removing mine from my 94 2+2 xjs. My stock radio works, then loses power. Thank you for the procedure you determined to remove yours! It is much appreciated!

On an off chance, would you hazard a guess as to what mine’s problem is?

Jumping in here, I have never had that issue with my '94 4.0 (“Superblue”). However, I sometimes had that happen with my '95 4.0 (“Supercat”) back then. :crazy_face: Turned out that the connections at the back (power harness?) had come slightly loose over time, from the radio slightly moving in and out in its “slot” from bumps in the road, bumps by hand (e.g. inserting a tape), etc. You might try pressing against the radio very hard with a hand next time you lose power, and see what happens. If nothing, it is probably something else. Good luck. :smile:

1 Like

I just posted the manual and installation sheet for the radio…might help

1 Like

Where??? :confused:

On this xjs forum…post says …radio code pamphlet…,…it has code info plus one sheet about installation.

1 Like

Great! Thank you all so much. I’ll be tackling it this weekend!

Well, the receiver had a loose ground as you suggested, but now it works without losing power…but the SPEAKERS are continuing to be intermittent. What in the Sam-Hill??? They did this before, but I thought it was related to the power issue re: receiver, but I think they’re not a part of that issue. The receiver just stays on fine, antenna goes up/down, receiver turns off and on just fine, but after a few moments, the speakers all stop making sounds…

I’m not sure how the speaker outputs are set up but if they have a common ground then it could be this output ground that is also intermittent. Otherwise, for all speakers to switch off at one time then you have a problem internal to the radio. Perhaps a dry joint or bad capacitor in the power output stage.

1 Like

Thank you Cosmo! Will investigate!

Strange coincidence, lately the radio on Superblue has started acting up, in regard to her illumination. I noticed sometimes when I first turn her on the lights do not come on, but a few minutes later/further down the road they suddenly come on. The last few days I have not had them come on at all, even when I tried tapping on the unit and pushing it in hard. Then, tonight I turned it on and all seemed normal again. :crazy_face:

1 Like

??? That’s about as weird as could be. I shouldn’t have said anything…
Perhaps my shop service manual would have something to say about it? I waited until I was given a couple of Amazon Gift cars, then I applied them last week toward the purchase of the 545pp shop service manual. It should arrive in 10 days or so. I’ll review, and let you know if I see anything. These Jaguar manuals, I’ve heard, can be as persnickety as our cars. Lol

Is it the original radio? That would make it almost 30 years old.