Removing seats when you cannot slide seat position

I am aware that the seats need to be moved far forward in order to access mounting bolts, however, I’m unable to move one of my seats in either direction - yes, something to fix.
So that being said, how does one get the seats out?

Thank you
Carlo

Spray silicone–not WD40: it stinks up the carpet–into the tracks, and keep at them. Sometimes, I’d have to use a dead blow hammer, on the seat bottom, and various levers.

It takes patience and time,

Thanks, @Wiggles
So it’s kind of a must to move the seat forward in order to remove it, right?

I’ve found it helps to be in the seat when I try to move it. That can make it harder to get out of the car, but at least I was able to move the seat. DON’T pull on the steering wheel rim with one hand while you are seated and pulling on the seat release lever with the other hand. I plant my feet firmly on the floor and use my legs to lever the seat forward.

1 Like

AFAIR, yes…then, after bolt removal, slide backwards off the front buttons.

I worked up a sweat trying to move the seat forward like you suggest, all the while being cognizant not to use the steering wheel as leverage. I sprayed the rails with silcone, but maybe not enough. I’ll keep at it.

Thank you
Carlo

I had to use a length of 2x4 and a block against the rear bulkhead to provide sufficient leverage, be cognizant of operating the lever as it inched forward. Went and bought new slides and it’s easy easy now. On the new slides, I did have to trim a bit away at the opening of the front slot as it extends further forward than the original and restricted reinstallation.

I routinely use a 1x2 and a fulcrum block to pop the seat forward for removal - but that is on a seat that moves fairly easily. You case may require something more drastic.

The screws securing the seat tracks thread into captive nuts on the bottom of the floor board and the ends of the screws should be exposed:

If you can Dremel a slot in the end of that screw you may be able to loosen it from below and, with a thin shafted screwdriver, run it all the way up and out.

Much depends on what length is exposed and it will be trickier if the screw has a pointy tip.

Upon reinstallation, use anti-seize on the bolts.

@Thelastrodeo @Ahwahnee

That did it :+1:

I have raised mounts upon which the tracks bolt that don’t go through the floor board.

I’m cleaning up the tracks and will reinstall the seat and hopefully it slides freely back on forth. Something to do on a rainy Sunday.

I should have started a thread “Let’s remove a seat together”

Thanks all who pinched in.

Carlo

2 Likes

Tracks lubed, seats in - and they slide like they’re new. :grin:

Just a bit of background - the seats had always moved freely until one day, at a car show, a fellow asked if could sit in it to see if he would fit. Well, Hercules slammed the seat back, and the rest you probably figured out.

With the seats out, I installed heat barrier under the carpet under the front seats and foot wells. See if it makes a difference.

Carlo

2 Likes

Kids are welcome to sit in mine (they fit real good)…

…but not adults. Too easy for them to use the steering wheel to climb in or out - with disastrous results.

2 Likes

I was trying to be helpful. The guy appeared genuine in that he really did want to know about him being able to fit. I did tell him not to use the steering wheel as a leverage point. He seemed to be aware of that.

I had some kids sitting in the car at a recent show. Yes, they fit better