Removing stuck brake and clutch cylinder pistons

My project has not been driven for 30+ years so getting everything apart is always an issue. Latest are the secondary piston in the brake slave and the piston in the clutch slave. Manual says to tap the open end of the brake slave with a rubber mallet, which got me nowhere. The stop pin is out so it should come loose… I filled the inlet connection with Kroil and will leave for a while, but if you have any good ideas, it would help a lot. I did try plugging the inlet connection and blowing air in the outlet connection without effect.

The clutch slave is also stuck and air per the manual did not move it. Can I attach a grease zerk at the inlet and pump it out?

Any help appreciated…

John North
67 Roadster

The grease zerk will certainly work. I have a coffee can on the work bench with a paint brush in it for extra grease. Looks like you could refill yours when the job is done. Do you own a pressure washer?

You are on the right track.

After you get it out be sure to remove all traces of grease, oil etc as these will make your new brake seals swell up

Just tying this one off, the standard zerk fittings from the auto parts places are mostly pipe thread and don’t fit. I used a bleeder valve, cut the inner end off so the hole is straight through and reshaped the gun end a little with a file. This worked ok, with copious leakage around the fitting, but sufficient to get the job done.

John North
1967 Roadster

So…is the bore reusable with new seals?

Clutch slave needs a resleeve, which is way expensive, considering a new one is less than $40. Not sure that originality is so important when it’s under the engine, but since I will be resleeving the master I may do it.

Hard to tell with the brake slave, it’s a long narrow shaft and I can’t really get a light in there, or feel down very far. Likely I will resleeve that also, since it’s OEM and brass will last way longer than I will care about it…

John

I did my own master with SS tubing on my 9" lathe. Drilling the small bleed hole was a bit tricky…

Above my pay grade, I’m afraid. I usually use Apple Hydraulics

John