Removing the Door Mirror Switch

According to the Classic parts site, it looks like, after dropping the knee bolster on that side, the whole switch assembly w. its surrounding bezel should just push out the front of its mounting hole. However, I have been pushing and pushing on it (and even pulling on the knob shaft) and can’t get it to even budge. Is there some trick to it? :confounded:

You might want to mention your model and year. I can’t figure out why you’re messing with a knee bolster, presume it’s because you’re dealing with a different model than I’m familiar with.

Likely a facelift. Can you share your information? JDHT doesn’t seem to provide anything that would help me determine how to get that part out, although there does appear to be a metal clip on the right side, probably both sides, that would need to be squeezed in order to pry that sucker loose.

Ah, maybe that’s it, VK (Superblue, my XJS, is a '94 4.0 coupe, btw - dang, wish we had signature lines line with the old forum! :confounded: ) … Do I need to slip like a knife blade through either side to release them, or somehow go at them from behind? :confused:

It look like the best way to attack it is from behind. If you can get your hand in there, squeeze one of two sides (or both at the same time) while pushing it.

That’s what it looks like to me anyways. Going in from the front looks like you’ll damage the plastic.

Let us know how you fare. If you could snap a couple of pics, that would undoubtedly help someone else in the future.

Will give it a go. Thanks, VK. :smile:

It’s been a long time since I took one apart but I recall there were two black self tapping screws that can’t be seen unless you get under the switch.
They screw in vertically and are very small, probably a #0 Phillips.
If I can think of it, I’ll check if the fastener openings on the switch are slots.
They might not even need to fully come out, and might release the switch.

I think EQUIPRX is correct. IIRC when I took my instrument cluster out I loosened and dropped the mirror controller trying to get more access to get my hand up to disconnect instrument cluster wiring bundles. Tiny little black phillips screws.

Geez, that seems to make them inaccessible, unless you pull the whole panel out … Please let me know on that, Equip, and photos are definitely helpful if you have any.

My computer has been down for a long time.
Have you resolved your mirror switch issue?
I can’t rely on an internet connection so either call or text.
to 650-455-1110
Steve

Not yet, but honestly it has not been a priority for me of late and is on my “to do” list, maybe over the Xmas holiday (will be 70s here then :sun_with_face:) One thing I found out though in the interim after I removed my instrument panel (to replace some of those warning light bulbs, if you remember my posts about that “journey” :roll_eyes:), is that with the panel out of the way it is a lot easier to work on things in that vicinity (the window switch area). Wish I had known that before I started on it, but no mention of doing that as a first step in the Jag factory workshop literature. :confounded:

Rather than just put the switch back in place and settle for “dead” mirrors, I would like to resolve the issue. Again, r/red the switch with a good one, and the fuse is not blown (and I have not found there to be any relay for that circuit, either). Mystery as why both window motors apparently gave up the ghost as the same time … :ghost: If it’s any consolation, I learned yesterday that Jag installed apparently the same switch set up in the XJ220s. :moneybag:

Happy Holidays, btw … :santa: :menorah: