Removing the Headrests

List:
I am preparing to apply a new color to the XJ seats including the headrests on the front seats. The work would be easier and the results better if I removed the front seat headrests.

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks
Lou

Hi,

You need to prise off the back panel off the seat. You will have to remove the seat reclining lever and one screw from the opposite side of the seat.

When you have the back off the seat you will be able to see the bottom of the oval tube that the headrest is attached to.

At the bottom of the tube is a spring of sorts with two “ears” sticking out of the side of the tube. Squeeze the ears in with a pair of pliers, keep them squeezed in and you should be able to pull the headrest up and out of the seat.

Dave

Lou,

I would simply have tried sharp blows with your hands from underneath. Put the seat backs in vertical position, sit on the rear seat, pull the head rest about half way out and then hit upwards simultaneously and with equal power with your left and right hand. Ask someone to put their hands above the headrest as it will leave the tubing very quickly.

There has been a similar thread just a couple of weeks ago and I think the lister succeeded in removing the head rest in a similar fashion.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)