Repainting the car - about windscreen and rear window

Hi everybody! Alea iacta est: I left the Jag on the paint shop for a complete respray. The car is in good shape, I know not everyone would do a complete respray but after 5 years of ownership I can’t stand all the defects that the marvellous Cobalt Blue has, because of the paint nature.

Moreover, the car has been repainted in its early days (mainly the roof and the pillars, excluding the opening part…) so the original parts are cracking and the parts resprayed with the transparent lacquer stand good and are really different.

The most deteriorated parts (the bonnet and the boot) will be completely stripped, the other parts will be sanded but not stripped to the metal, finger crossed (but the roof is done this way and has not presented any defect after 20 years). The work will be performed by a skilled body shop (they work on very important historic cars and they worked on my 911 with excellent results), but the way the front and rear glasses are put in place astonished them.

The glasses are glued but with a large amount of glue: is it normal or it has been done this way on the previous repaint? I read all the threads I could, collected all the infos I found but I need some expert advice on the best way to unmount and remount the glasses.

All the mouldings will be renewed, the windscreen is new (the original one has a crack on an angle) but it’s important to save the rear glass, that seems to be very hard to find, as well as the chrome trim.

Thanks everyone!

Just to confirm this is a late S111 and not the early XJ40?

Chiao Patrizio,

You remove first the two outer seals and the inner seal.
This will give space to insert the tool to cut the glue, from between the body and the trim and from inside.
The chrome trim will stay with the glass and you can separate it after.
Don’t try to remove the trim before, it will be ruined.
It’s stainless steel and can be polished really nicely.

Installing it back in is more tricky.
I did it in two steps, first the glass, let it cure, and then the trim.
Very hard to fit them all in one go, ask me how I know…
Also be sure to secure the inner seal with some adhesive because so it stays put when you fit the glass.
You will need new seals, all three.

Good luck.