Repairing a leaking oil pan, hope this works?

My oil pan was damaged many years ago when a connecting rod let loose. Have had leaks on and off depending on how much goop I used. Had taken pan to a couple of machine shops to see if they could true up flange. They would have to remove too much material to make true so had to find another fix.
Could have welded around the flange and then machined flat, risky and expensive. Took a different approach, JBWeld to the rescue. With engine block upside down, taped wax paper to the bottom of the block and spread the JB Weld on wax paper, placed the pan on the block and let sit overnight. All gaps are all filled now, did roughen up pan flange to give the epoxy something to bite on.
Will be using Cometic gaskets and aluminum crush washers in all critical leak areas, hope to be leak-free?
Visited machine shop that is rebuilding cylinder head, two week job that is now in the 5th week ready tomorrow HA. He started to set valve clearance as per internet to .004-6 wrong. I had put a tag on block stating .012-14 luckily I stopped by when I did. Installed new valve guides. valves springs and shells and did a three angle cut on seats.
Glenn

1 Like

Had my first experience with JBW on my boat trim motor. Worked like a charm! Good luck

1 Like

That stuff can cure cancer…:wink:

The secret with JBW is in the preparation. Thorough roughing of the surface, degrease, degrease, degrease. On cracks, terminate the ends with a small drill and covering sandwich patch of light tin clamped over the repair can help. A lifetime ago as a consultant, I pulled off some amazing heavy industrial repairs using a similar product from England. Wiggy’s right, this stuff will fix anything but a broken heart. Brian / Mytype

1 Like