Replace cat or rod it out

Are they still doing visual inspections underneath the car in NY?

Yeah, that sucks if you actually drive the car. I guess it varies, but in general isn’t there a mileage limitation of about 5,000 miles per year?

There’s no 5000 mile limit called out in Virginia, but usage is restricted to certain specific purposes, including “pleasure” drives which cannot be farther than 250 miles away from one’s home. Driving to work is explicitly banned.

I agree Greg. Social distancing is very important between you and the catalytic converters. :smiley: (you know it’s just a joke)

1 Like

New yokr only gives safety checks on older cars… when I got the 1989 JAG in 2004 for a few years after… NY was doing the DYNO eission test… not any more

You don’t state what state you are from but here in Oregon there is a special registration available for collector cars over 25 years old. There is no stated mileage or time of year restriction but it is SUPPOSEDLY to be used for club events and such. In ten years I have found no enforcement of this, I think the police have bigger issues to pursue. With four of my six cars registered this way none get very high annual usage and I carry a log book to prove this if ever questioned, One advantage of this is it is a permanent registration with no annual renewal fee needed as long as it remains in the same ownership. Since there is no renewal, this effectively eliminates any periodic emission check which is only required in certain counties anyway.

Replaced with bullet silencers, straight though pipes with fibre glass padding, the internal pipe had louvers and you could either have the open area facing the outgoing gas (quieter) or away from the flow (a touch louder) we went louder, nothing obnoxious, they are cruisers after all. :smiling_imp:
I don’t recall the o2 being in the cat on ‘40 I thought it was on the down pipe between the small cats and the underbody cats.

Yes the 2 cast iron exhaust manifolds connect to the CAT that is just say 5 inches under the C.I. manifolds the are part of the 3 tube CAT and yes that CAT has an O2 bung measuring exhaust gas before the CAT. I I assume the loose Exhaust manifold bolts and the crack and having half of the CAT as granola crumbles added to the gradual loss of power and lousy engine performance … at least I hope that is the issue… compression check on 6 cylinders good all withing 10 pounds…

You guys have been a great help… here is a Covod elbow handshake!!!
Too bad you all cant come bby and help with the oily bits… he heee,
I have a used replacement rear exhaust manifold on the way have new exhaust gaskets… just need to remove the the CAT…

Thanks
B

Yep, as I remember it, that is correct

That sounds pretty much like how is done here in virginia.

this looks mirror copy of mine… looks like an OEM part… to pricey for me…

432 dollars

Different to the later ‘40’s mine had two 1/2 cats in the down pipes.

Tutone, Heres the grey issue…You have 02 sensors on your down pipes.
If you take the BEADS out like the old days in the LATE 70’s and put in a cheater pipe or a feeze out plug back in the car would run fine BEFORE YOUR ODB2 .
Of course pre obd2 it was totally illegal because of tampering BUT…
Your issue will be check engine lights if you drive for a long period of time, the computer will not read your up to temp readings kicking off the light
Cats in that era actually was part of the running cycle with back pressure and temps.
They USED to say you could drop a valve with no back pressure but the car is so old anything could happen.
Is it legal NO
Does anyone care NO “state wise”
I just think your going to pop a check engine light and run rough eventually on the throttle body without the back pressure and regulation.
gtjoey1314

There are currently 13 states that have adopted California emissions standards; most are on the east coast (Colorado being an exception). While they may not enforce testing or inspections at this time, they have the legal authority to do so in the future. It can be a revenue generator for them…
The Federal government prohibits removing or making emissions equipment non-functional, and can fine a shop up to $100,000 per occurrence. I don’t think that applies to vehicle owner.
If your state doesn’t inspect or require emissions tests, you are probably ok- but be aware that they may in the future. Joey, NY is a state that has adopted CARB standards.
‘89 should have heated oxygen sensors.

89 XJ6 O2 sensor before the cat… non OBD

The converter st top of listing --for $254—looks exactly–mirrors-- the OEM part, tough I cant speak to its dimensional accuracy… maybe I should order it…last time I checked RockAuto --week ago—It looked it was Not Available…

the DEC part below it looks like a soso sloppy copy

GT Joey brings up interesting point on JAGLOVERS on back pressure

Thoughts
Brad K
JDCLI
89 XJ6
73 Land Rover
69 Fury Wagon
95 Mercedes C280—recent acquisition

Back pressure is not designed in intentionally, any b/p hampers flow and the target is zero. The whole point of the oxygen sensor is to provide a feedback signal to the EFI as to whether the mixture is rich or lean. Reducing back pressure will not affect it’s operation, unless you end the exhaust system too close to it where reversion pulses dilute the exhaust.

If you are not enlarging the pipes by some ridiculous amount, I don’t think back pressure will be an issue.

A friend brought up an interesting point… find the salvage value of the OE failed CAT on the car now (dependent on metals palladium etc prices) and that would offset the 250 dollars or so cost of the new ROCKAUTO one… if salvage value is low… maybe gut the one on car now and reinstall and see if it performs well…
thoughts?

Thanks again to all
Brad K
JDCLI

Yes scrap cats are worth more than entire scrap cars

Sorry GT, having done this to both my ‘40 and the brothers X300, I can catogorically state that both cars ran better after the cats were removed with the o2 sensors in place and NO check engine light displayed.
I did the X300 over ten years ago and will be seeing the car in the coming weeks as it is now owned by the SiL cousin,

1 Like