Replaced radiator

Hi there!

I just replaced the radiator in my 2000 XK8 with an after market unit. Every thing has gone smoothly up until now. There is no expansion tank breather connection to my radiator on my particular car. The fitting on the ex. tank and the radiator appear to have been plugged at the factory. However, my replacement radiator fitting is NOT plugged.

Any suggestions on what method or material I should use to plug it. I can think of several, but they are a bit amateurish. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Michael

A photo of the offending fitting would be useful here along with dimensions etc.

Michael,
Earlier versions of the XK8 had a hose connection from the left side of the radiator to the coolant expansion tank. Later models deleted this feature. First, verify that the barb connection on the new radiator is actually open to the coolant. I replaced a radiator an XK8 radiator a few years ago. The new replacement had the barb but it wasn’t functional, similar to the later expansion tanks. If yours is open, you have a couple of options. 1) Install a cap onyo the 3/8" barb fitting on the radiator. If you have an Autozone near by, look for part number 47395. It’s a 3/8" ID rubber cap made by Dorman. Install it onto the radiator barb with a hose clamp. 2) Modify the solid barb on the expansion tank by carefully drilling it out. Install a coolant grade hose between the radiator and the expansion tank.

Hi Bob!

Thank you for your help. I took the easy way out and plugged the barb
on the radiator, as you described. It works fine and I am up and
running again!

Thanks again!

Michael
Quoting Bob Loftus noreply@jag-lovers.com:

Hi Neil!

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

Thanks to advice from Bob Loftus, I have been able to solve the
problem and all is well.

Thanks again!

Michael
Quoting Neil Bennett noreply@jag-lovers.com: