Replacement engine for an E-Type/

Hi Ron
Sorry it had taken so long but I have attached some pictures of the engine

My plan was to show any buyers the engine running before it is removed
John

A few years ago I was involved with a Patent Attorney in DC who (on JL) who had a long stud 4.2 with a rusted and broken stud. A machinist friend had earlier made me a long shafted tap with the correct threads which I lent to my Jag-lover friend whose name I have forgotten. His solution was ingenious. He went to a hobby shop which sold brass tubing in many sizes. He began with a tube the same od as the stud and then begin fitting into it a series of gun drills (long drill bits which fit inside each tube., He began with the entire stack of telescoping brass and used the smallest tube with the smallest drill bit and drilled that hole.Then he removed that tube and inserted his drill for the next side and drilled that. He continued stepping up tubes and drill sizes until he had the offending bolt drilled out although I suspect he had resort to an ez out towards the end-but it worked. I have since discovered left handed drills work very well in removing broken bolts, I have had more which spun out with the lh drill bit than I have had to use ez outs on, Mike Moore (Obviously, the drill motor has to run backwards)

1 Like

Did Patent Atty Boy apply for a patent for this great idea?

1 Like

Itā€™s actually an old machinistā€™s trick!

Public domainā€¦:smirk:

Iā€™ve asked for images of the vehicle in question and was told to look it up on XKE data.
How long is this charade going to continue?

If you are referring to my advertisement to sell a 67 E-TYPE 2+2, it is very legitimate. I am not selling pictures, and if you are a great distance from me, we have little to discuss anyway. Lots of them out there, all over the country. This one is a restoration candidate with excellent floors and a stuck engine.

1 Like

Have you had any offers from the Continent you reside in ?

Curious, like we probably all are, what such a vehicle will sell for ?

Didnt someone offer you your purchase price + 10% so it could be restored by a technical school, or some such thing?.

Was he on the same Continent as you?

That would be a noble outcome

Certainly was an offerā€¦from meā€¦but no evidence the vehicle actually exists.
Now the ā€œownerā€ is expressing doubt due to distances involvedā€¦etc, etcā€¦

So, I propose that on confirmation the vehicle actually exists that a Go Fund Me page is started, the vehicle is purchased by members of this page, (but obviously anybody would be welcome to donate) and donated to the Coventry Foundation who can then decide a worthy recipient, such as Penn College for their restoration training program.

Time for some milk, had quite enough of the moo.

1 Like

Yes, a gentleman in Canada did, but it may have just been out of frustration. If he is still interested, it would be nice to hear from him. I am having all sorts of action on this second time of listing the car, and maybe someone will come and give it a good home and a well-deserved restoration.

This is for Craig, with apologies. The car is listed on xkedata.com, with pictures and the car number is 1e77531. I saw to it that it has a clear Kentucky title and historic plates. I bought the car sight unseen except for some pictures, and it looked good enough. It was delivered and I decided not to take the project on at my age. Thus far, I have had one person who came and looked, and was somewhat short of funds at the time, but was impressed enough to make the full price offer.

Right, so itā€™s sold and we donā€™t have to hear anything more about it.
Assume the admins will now lock this thread.

That is not the meaning I took from the post. I read it as the gentleman offered full price but was short on funds so I assume no sale.

If seeing this thread continue upsets you so much, you can mute it so that it never crosses your screen again. Just go to the notifications icon (the bell symbol) at the bottom of the thread, click on it, and select MUTE. Peace at lastā€¦:blush:

4 Likes

That is correct on the one offer I had gotten. I have had so many inquiries that I have lost count, and I need just one good one.

Well, good luck with the sale.

Thanks John. It seems that some folks have not had that much experience selling a car like this. If it were together and running, I would not want to sell it, but keep it and take my time making things right. The E=type has been on the ā€˜bucket listā€™ for quite a while, and when this one came up, I did not think it would be at this stage in need of repair. At my age, standing on my head and working on the concrete is not in the cards.

1 Like

To be clear.

I offered to buy the vehicle for 10% more than what it owes the sellerā€¦

I asked the seller for images of the vehicle, he replied he wasnā€™t selling photos and directed me to a 3rd party website for said images? Really?

I then attempted to diffuse the apparent impasse with an offer to commence a fund raising project to purchase the vehicle for training of up and coming techs who are and will be required to service the classic vehicle industry now and into the future, that offer has received NO responseā€¦from anybody.

Seller claims all he needed was one good offer.
Was TWO from me not enough?

I have no proof he owns the vehicle, itā€™s actual location or even any evidence it actually exists.

Despite my best efforts to establish what any reasonable person would consider to be grounds to move forward with the purchase of the vehicle, the ā€œselllerā€ has been nothing other than obstructive.

Whatā€™s the asking price Ron and the EXACT location of the vehicle.? maybe even throw in a contact number, the kind of info Iā€™d expect to get if I was in the market for a 20 year old Hyundai for $1500.

Hello buyers! The car is sitting here, waiting to be sold, and I donā€™t quite grasp the confusion that is taking place. Craig, if you want the car, just say so and itā€™s yours when you make financial arrangements. IMAGES, IMAGES! All kinds of images on xkedata.com at car # 1e77531. Clear Kentucky title too.

Yes, post the link again as some folks canā€™t seem to find it.