Replacement Fuel pump recommendations

Hi all

My fuel pump seems to have died…. I was wondering what people are doing to replace them. My inclination is to use the same type and style, but the electronic version. Any suppliers seem to have a better option than just an SU brand?

My SU pump with electronic conversion kit turns 19 this year.

I’ve had the electronic SU for 12 years and about 45,000 miles with no problems.

I rebuilt my SU in 2002 and took it out (it had not problems) in 2020 to find worn points but it was working fine. New points and diaphragm and it will last my ownership.

Dennis
69 OTS

SU 1307…need 20 characters

You can easily upgrade yourself to an electronic version with a few simple components or just buy a kit if you don’t want to replace your pump(s).

kind regards
Marek

Hi,

Nothing wrong with the SU’s and IMHO they also provide an extra safety feature on the six cyl cars as they are supposed to stop ticking once the float chambers are full of fuel. (On the V12 the fuel is circulated all the time via a non-return valve.)

A diode can make the points last pretty much forever ( or a varistor) as found in the electronic rebuild kits from Burlen.

Cheers!

Switching on the ignition and hearing thd tickkng count up has saved me from «sticky float syndrome» a few times. Hearing the ticking come to a halt means all is well in the world (*)

(*) For a certain small value of «world».

3 Likes

I use the original SU, with a diode. New SU’s use a TVS for spark suppression, and they also sell all electronic pumps. I have a permanently mounted Facet pump, all plumbed and ready for emergency use. If you drive a bit, having a spare pump at hand will save you a tow someday.

1 Like

+1 for the electronic SU’s. No problems for something like 7-8 years. I keep the original (now cleaned) points pump in the boot in case of emergency. Having the original there is a sure guarantee that the newer pump will NEVER fail!

I went against the grain and bought a non-electronic SU when I replaced my car’s fuel pump maybe 5 years ago. I figured if it quit I could smack it with a hammer to get it going again. In my experience electronic components don’t respond well to percussive maintenance.

1 Like

The failure mode of original SU pumps is either the points get so worn due to arcing they don’t work, or one of the two little rocker springs breaks.

The points spark suppression now supplied in the pump rebuild kits is good so points should not be a worry while I think the rocker springs are better today than original!

Dennis
69 OTS

You need to use a bigger hammer, John.

1 Like