New member to the forum, long time reader and proud owner of a 1974 Jaguar XJ6 Series 2 SWB. I am reaching out to the community since I know that there is a lot of experience and knowledge here. I have read through the forum but I am still not confident that I have the answers I feel I need regarding this topic.
My fan clutch (viscous coupling) is broken. I come to this conclusion since I am able to flick to fan without any resistance and it will spin 10-20 times. My car also runs a bit hot. From the parts manual and what is used in my car I identify the currently installed fan clutch as #C.28018. Unfortunately this item does not seem to be available any more. After searching online I understand that the replacement item is #NBC2215AA but I would like to get this confirmed before I order a replacement.
- Do you believe NBC2215AA is the correct replacement part?
- Has anyone experience of replacing the fan clutch on an early series 2?
- I understand that NBC2215AA is “taller” than C.28018 and that it will come closer to the radiator. But will it be too close to the radiation? Any concerns?
- Do you know if NBC2215AA is a thermal clutch or not? I believe the original clutch is not thermal.
- Does the radiator need to be removed to fit NBC2215AA or can it be done by removing the top of the fan cowl?
Looking forward to hearing your answers.
Thank you and best regards,