Replacement radio turns off when shifting

Hey,

Have an 86 xj-sc, have only had it a month and after a couple trips to the mechanic it is running good. The radio had been replaced with a pioneer CD headunit. However, it runs but turns off in some corners and when shifting in and out of park. When driving, if it goes off I can simply tap the shifter to the right and it comes back on.

Ideas?

Thanks!

The quality of some aftermarket radio installations can be quite low especially if done by Do-It-Yourself ers on their first attempt. I have found very shoddy splice jobs in some of my Jaguar parts cars where the wires were cut and merely twisted together and taped instead of being soldered and shrink tubed.
I recommend that you disconnect the battery and remove the radio to inspect the radio wiring harnesses behind it to see if the wires were properly soldered. If not, the loose splices done when the aftermarket radio was installed are probably the source of your problem.

Paul

Two comments:

1. The installer used a plastic in line fuse holder. I’ve come across some that are a sloppy fit at best.

2. Way back when, I was guilty of merely twisting sires together and taping them. Not the best way, of course.

But, in army days, we learned to “correctly” splice field telephone wire. Strip back the insulation, tie a tight “square” knot, not a “granny”, Tape securely. Fabric electrician’s tape in the day…

I do not recommend it, but if need be……

Carl

Carl,
I think that you are on to something there with the inline fuse. There is an inline fuse for the radio located beneath the shifter ski slope panel and if the fuse holder is bad or the fuse is loose it could cause the radio to cut out when the shifter is moved. Removal of the ski slope for an inspection of the tadio in line fuse would be a good first step before actually pulling the radio out to check out all the wiring for problems.

Paul

I’m thinking it’s more likely a ground connection than a power connection. Perhaps someone grounded the radio by attaching a grounding ring to one of the screws on the shifter. IIRC, that’s not a good spot, because the shifter is mounted on rubber.