Replacement tyres

The tyres on my 1996 XK8 are far from worn out but they are now 12 years old and I’m keen to replace them. They are the 245/50 Pirellis recommended by Jaguar. Unfortunately Pirelli, Australia are out of stock.

Can anyone suggest another maker of this size of tyre? And, of course, provide any experience with them?

It has been suggested that I may have to go to 235/55 tyres. Again, has anyone had the same problem and can provide constructive comment.

Thanks. Bill Marshall

Do you have 17 or 18 inch rims?

Hi Bob,
Sorry. Should have said. 17 inch all round. Hope you can come up with something. The local tyre people where I live are stumped.
Bill

Where are you located (completing your profile info would help —)? From your spelling of “tyres”, I’d guess not the states. In any case finding this size should NOT be difficult. Go to tirerack dot com, and search by size., which will show you several/many options. I recently went with some cheapie Hankooks, which seem fine except that they follow (“hunt”) longitudinal pavement grooves a bit too much. That seems to be improving as they wear in, though. You are really best off to stay with the original/correct size.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA
E-type S2 FHC and '99 XK8

Hi Bill, when I bought my '99 convertible two years ago, the PO had recently replaced the tyres. The car is sleeping for the winter here in Canada, but they are Champiro 328 GT M7S 245/45 ZR 17
I have never heard of Champiro, and I do not drive it in winter, and didn’t know they are M&S.
However I can tell you that they are quiet, and provide a comfortable ride, not harsh, and have not lost grip under my command.
I did notice that the spare is Pirelli, so I assume that is what was originally fitted.
Hope this helps
Mike