Replacing an automatic tranny with a manual

To My Fellow Lumps,
My '76 XJC was lumped with a 1995 LTI from a Z28 Cameo. This included the automatic tranny and the computer.
I would really like to swap the auto tranny for a manual (6 speed?). Has anyone done this and, if so, what are the issues that I will be faced with?
Thank you,
Phillip

Finding a pedal box for the extra (clutch) pedal is the biggest problem as not many came with sticks… they are sold new at one site but cost many $$$$… installing the clutch cylinder and then the removal of the current trans… maybe having to have the drive shaft redone (length) due to the change. Be sure the trans used has a shifter position that fits in the Jaguar… hence the site (some where in the eastern USA) that sells the “kits” or searching the two Jaguar Forums for more information.

Here is a link about converting a Jag with Jag engine to stick shift… interesting for the dimensions given and the need for the proper shifter distance to fit the hole.
http://jag-lovers.org/e-type/5speed.ht

I did this for my 84 XJ6 - it wasn’t so bad. Driveshaft stays the same - you will need to find a pedal box conversion kit. There was a guy who sold them from Idaho:

http://www.vintagejag.com/

It was a relatively easy conversion with a drill press - if you are afraid of wrecking your existing pedal box, pick one up at a junkyard, they are cheap. I actually have a spare out at my garage if you need one.

the 6 speed requires some modifications to the tunnel - an angle grinder took care of that. Just be careful of the size of the hole.

You’ll need to reprogram your PCM to manual as well - easy enough with TunerCats. Other than that, just wire up the reverse lockout solenoid and reverse light switch and you’re good to go.

Bonus points if you wire up your cruise control.

Roger and Tyler,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have found a very good guy here in town to help me with this conversion. We are going with a six speed (2 spd OD). I will post a complete summary of this project when completed.
I have provided my guy with your responses. This looks to be an expensive modification but I am so excited to get this done. Thanks again and stay tuned.
Phillip

Just got my jag back with a T-6 Camaro tranny installed. This replaced the auto tranny. Fun to drive but the shifter will take some getting used to. Seems very stiff and somewhat difficult to know which gear you’re in. They moved the shift stick forward of the original tranny location in order to accommodate the original Jag console and shift stick location. (See photo). If I could do this over, I would look into modifying the console and leave the shift stick in the tranny’s original location.

The cost was a little over 8k for the tranny and install. Over the estimate but lots of shop time involved.
Phillip

Very interesting.

1. The use of a parallelogram to transfer the lever forward is ingenious. But, dare I say slightly askew ? I say that with caution, as I sure can not say I can do better.

2. An epiphany !!! I’ll type slightly out of order, before it escapes. Tyler Werrin made this swap. Search the archives for his posts and/or a contact.

3. Something like this, but in reverse was done decades ago. Seating in “hot rod specials” was moved back. So, the shift lever needed to come back as well. A lever attached at the base of the sick atop the box. Connected to a similar device closer to the seat. Pivot to pivot, in the same plane. Same action n at the rear to the front.

Carl .

maybe a gated shifter plate to help know what gear it’s in?
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/698700-gated-manual-shift-plate.html
i’d like to do this to my S1 xj6 someday

Very cool idea. This being my first six speed, I could use the help in knowing what gear I’m in. Thank you for the post.
Phillip