Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

what is the best way to remove the exhaust manifold gasket

Paint scraper, semi blunt wood chisel (VERY CAREFULLY) can of freeze off may help. I am assuming its well stuck on?

sorry… asking about pulling the Manifold off first.

Exhaust first, then it should come off. Soft faced hammer/wood if not.

is it possible to get the rear Manifold off without dropping the Cat converter down from manifold??

Surely you can separate the rear manifold from the converter pipe.
I would try to get the rear one off before touching the front one, chances are it will work. Chances are also that the head shield bolts will be damaged when you remove them, but that is a simple driveway job.

Don’t overtighten the brass nuts :slightly_smiling_face:

no. Thanks very much. the rear gasket is blown out and you get this annoying noise from the top of the manifold . I got a bunch of new hardware from Welsh Jag and only planned on doing the rear gasket. two rings to go between manifold and pipe an brass nuts to complete. having second thought about replacing front gasket since i will be that far into. but worry about removing manifold bolts. any thoughts??

Nice. When you have the parts you can do the one manifold and decide while it is off.
Loosely connect the downpipe to the manifold before bolting it back to the block, and break your arms in a few locations so you can reach all bolts underneath.

Generally, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, but back when I replaced the rear ring gasket/ ‚donut‘, the front one blew exhaust within half a year so I had to do the front. I‘d probably leave the front in place and only do the rear.

The nuts are well engineered and won’t give much trouble, only space is a problem.

sounds good. thanks so much. have to leave now to engineer sunday dinner. lol
will check back later.

Alright good luck!
David