Replacing speedo angle drive seals. Series 3 E Type

Hi all.
I have done search with mixed results and am wondering if it is possible to replace Speedo angle drive seals (at the gearbox end) from inside the car.
I don’t mind removing seats etc; but is the area truly accessible.
Best regards, Ian.

It ain’t easy: you’ll have to remove the console and the inner trans tunnel.

It also helps to have spatulate fingers, 12 inches long…:confounded:

cant speak for specifics on a S3, but many of us with an S2 can show pictures of some prior “mechanic” making it possible to do from inside the car. always with results we are sorry for now!!

1 Like

I had to look closely before I realized that wasn’t a pic of my car…

1 Like

Well, there is that method, too…:pleading_face:

The hack that did mine was even worse than that. I welded it up and then needed to get in there for the speedo drive. I was able to wedge in a piece of 2’ by to get my fingers in.

Not sure I understand the issue…on my series 3, you can easily reach the angle drive from underneath. Also, I did not realize a seal for the angle drive was even available. Let me know, thanks, JS

It is not hard to get to on a SIII but you do have to remove the bolt from the back side to release the speedo drive gear. I bent a wrench as others have described and it was fairly easy to get it loose. Worst case is drop the aft transmission mount to get to it. Not impossible but takes some effort to re-compress the spring upon re-install. The seal and O-Ring are available from the usuals.

Hello Ian,
As others have stated, its not so difficult from underneath and without removing anything from the inside. The job is a lot easier on an S111 compared to an S1/S2 manual car, because the Gearbox Tunnel of the S3 Manual (and Auto) is the same as an S1/S2 Auto Trans Tunnel; accordingly, there is more room to work in. Following is a picture of the area.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Hi All. Many thanks for the replies and help. I reckon that going in from underneath is the consensus.
Thanks for the clear pics as well.
I was trying to avoid this as I am not in a position to easily lift the car - very tight. I will just have to take my time.
I suppose the exhaust has to be removed?

Hello Ian,
The exhaust can stay on, the picture in my previous Post was taken of a car with the Exhaust in place.

Regards,

Bill

Agree, no need to remove the exhaust, even if you have to drop the aft transmission mount. Not easy and requires some creative words, but doable!

Thanks chaps. I’ll start the job soon. :smiley: