Replacing the clutch in an XKE

So he essentially tilted the rear of the engine/transmission downward until the transmission was lower than the underbody of the car? Seems like the intake manifold would foul the engine frame before the transmission dropped that far. Unless, of course, the point where the engine was tilted was at the back of the intake manifold.

This is why I went for the popcorn. The last discussion on this topic went south like this.

Not all of us. I have local stations that provide “recreational gas” which is ethanol free, pure gas. It is more expensive but it is all I use in the Jag, boats, mowers, weedeaters, etc. I have never had the ethanol problem in any of them.

Why are they calling it “recreational” gas? Is it disallowed to use it in a road car? Here we have about 5 stations that sell it right next to the adulterated stuff. Use it in what ever the hose will reach to.

Me too, and use it in my DD: WAY better mileage, and by my calculations, quite a bit less output of carbon.

I forgot: yes, lawn equipment seems to not like it, if only it kept screwing up the hard-to-replace fuel feed hose in my Stihl chain saw.

I guess they call it recreational gas because we are on the lake and no one here wants to run ethanol in their boats, ATVs,or any other equipment they don’t want ethanol ruining their carbs. You can use it in your car. Most recreational vehicles sit for long periods when out of seasonal use. Put some ethanol in there and let it set all winter to see what I mean.

Yep! I also Sta-Bil-ize all my lawn and garden engines, for the winter. Did it with the Jag: but the Rover gets regular winter runs.

Yeah, I use Sta-bil too. In my weedeater and and mowers. I run them dry before winter storage. In my boats and cars I use Seafoam every once in a while.

That’s why I use ethanol free my lawn equipment. We run about 8-10 gallons a year through the weed eaters, blowers and chain saw so it doesn’t really have time to gunk everything up anyway.

My SU jets were 20 years old and crumbled into dust

Had they been left dry?

This group of members really is a friendly, helpful bunch of guys and gals. We don’t always agree but when we don’t we try to express ourselves in a civil way without being argumentative. The (what I assume is) sarcasm is unnecessary and counterproductive to the discussion. And yes, some of our members are indeed brilliant. Without their advice and help, I doubt that I would still have my E type.

3 Likes

Yes, about six months. Mia Culpa. I’m getting to old for this stuff. That is why I am spiffing the old girl up for a sale. Looking possibly at Barett Jackson in New England in the Spring. It took three hours to remove the carbs, two hours to rebuild them and then three hours to put them back on. They still haven’t been tuned. I am waiting for warmer weather so if gas decides to leak, it’s outside and not inside where the wife’s super nose will cause me grief. I decided to go over every inch of the car and make it as close to Concours as I can get. Painted the header tank hammertone silver along with the fan shroud and the header tank supports. The Otter switch shorted on me, so I took it apart and found a small piece of gasket material (wet) between the contacts. Removed it, good as new. I will take out the high torque starter and put back the original. I also believe there is some slack in the upper timing chain. It sings when the car starts and then on a restart after everything is heated up, it’s gone.
I’ll miss her. What a blast to drive!

I’m only responding in like to the barrage that was aimed at me yesterday. You might have thought I was telling people there are men in the moon. If you look back at the responses I received and think they were positive in any way, then I stand corrected. Some were positive and believed what I said about changing a clutch without removing the engine, most were skeptical to the point of cynicism.
Let’s start dress. I would like to have positive feedback on this blog.

Lily Tomlin once said, “ No matter how cynical you get, its impossible to keep up!”

We are a tough crowd, so dont take old cranky mechanics opinions personally!
Had I figured out a simpler, faster way to do E clutches, I woulda been on it like a duck on a June bug!!

1 Like

This suggests the engine is now free to lift and pivot, at least sufficient to extract the box. I am guessing the angle would be very similar to that for top removal? That being the case the only part missing is jack it up and extract both box and engine combined, or am I missing something?

Yes 600, at last!!! out the top, although why jack up?
Two chain blocks on a travelling carriage and “voila” as they say in Burkina Faso.
Expediency dictates, of course, that inferior methods sometimes have
to be employed.
Peter Bbernard engine cam follower 010bernard engine cam follower 011

Saw this method the year before last, a friend at the auto factors I use told me, so I went over at lunchtime and saw this 2plus2 with the engine hauled up and the gearbox off, as Pat says, only a touch away from complete removal so whats the point ??

Peter

If you jack the back up, it reduces the angle the engine/box needs tilting for removal. Not essential though.

Regards
Pat

This is how I put my engine back in. Obviously the carbs have to be off, but this was an easy one man job.
If I had th do the clutch I would just drop it back into the pit.

Paul

It is a good thing that many photos of this method exist – otherwise I would probably doubt it could be done that way,