Replacing the clutch in an XKE

Truer words…I ALWAYS made a better living by “gravy work:” brakes, services, oil changes, and the like.

Engine overhauls were the least profitable thing I did!

when I was very busy with work etc, any local mechanic would cringe if I ever bought a vehicle anywhere near them, as they knew it wouldnt be a very profitable job, as I did all the easy things myself. In the cases I want to borrow a lift/tools/assistance these days, I just ask them when they have a bit of dead time and give them some cash, so they are ok about it, mates rates

Especially with older vehicles it can take a long time to just undo fasteners, the local Jag mechanic, who charges +$100ph , was showing me an XK120 with a job list as long as yr arm, and saying it had taken him 4hrs to just repair some snapped off bolts or studs

Here the problem is that a small one man shop doesn’t get much gravy work anymore. Leased vehicles with all inclusive warranty/service where the majority of owners take a new vehicle rather than buy the car out at the end of the lease.

And those who do keep the car past lease end tend to go to the cheapest places (often in Germany) for the gravy work. Only when the car needs a house call or specialized work do they give the work to a local guy.

1 Like