Replacing the evaporator

Hello ,looking for advise and tips on replacing the evaporator on a '94 XJS

#1 tipā€¦ get the manual. Otpubs.com has them on USB. Cheap at $100.

I think youā€™re in luck, and that in a ā€˜94 you can remove the instrument cluster and slide the evaporator out sideways. If it was an ā€˜84 youā€™d be looking at a dash-out job.

Thanks at $100 I am sure its worth it

Just about finishing mine. I would have been done except:

SWMBO often had other chorfes for me
Garage was often too hot to work.
Had a rotator cuff injury.

Some issues-mine being an early 94, some fittings were SAE, others metric (fortunately, there were no Whitworth)

New evaporators are NLA. Had to get a used one.
Take pictures.
Whenever I removed an item, I used painters tape to attach the fasteners.
Hire a double jointed midget to work under the dash.
I bought a kit of HNBR o-rings from Harbor Freight. Made life easier to find the correct size.
Bought this set of 2 cycle carb tools to get small single D socket (for disarming the drivers air bag)https://www.amazon.com/TOPEMAI-Carburetor-Adjustment-Screwdriver-Carburator/dp/B07GKXXRLC/ref=pd_sbs_86_2/147-9745090-8395018?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GKXXRLC&pd_rd_r=94a93d34-3838-438e-a93c-3408c33c232d&pd_rd_w=4XTpA&pd_rd_wg=CfVSy&pf_rd_p=ed1e2146-ecfe-435e-b3b5-d79fa072fd58&pf_rd_r=YFT3A1NA7WA06TGWG1ED&psc=1&refRID=YFT3A1NA7WA06TGWG1ED

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks Maynard ,I can get my hands on everything but the double jointed midget ā€¦I appreciate the help .
how long you been working on it ?

On the XJSā€™s with the Mark III Delanaire, you can remove the instrument cluster and the glove box and slide the heater matrix out sideways, but not so with the evaporator. Removing the evaporator on any of the XJS.s is MAJOR surgery and requires removing the entire instrument panel. Much time, patience, and skill required. Later model (93 or 94 and later evaporators are still available new if you search enough. Some earlier model evaporators are still NOS. Search the topic ā€œchanging the XJS evaporatorā€., or similar connotations.

Maynardā€¦ EXCELLENT tip on the airbag disarming tool. Previous suggestions were to get a small brass tube, plug it with some sort of metal putty, and mold it to the D shape directly on the disarming pin. That all cost more than $10 and it crumbled with use.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how long I have been working on it. Hour here, two hours there. Iā€™m guessing it has been about 40 hours, but consider, my car is an early 94 (190982), and is different from the 93s and the later facelifts. Some of the time was spent chasing fasteners. Good luck, and if I can be of any help let me know.

BTW, my car is one of the first R134a cars. Some earlier ones were R12. Which is yours?

Forgot to add, because my car was different from earlier and later models, I had to do some work figuring out how things went apart in a way that would let them go together later.

Mine is the 134a (192225)
I might be in touch just received the D shape tool .I am going to tackle it next weekend

Please tell us where youā€™ve got the replacement evaporator from?
AFAIK, they are unobtanium anymore.

Got it from Terryā€™s Jaguar in Kalamazoo,MI

Theyā€™ve got JLM20609? Not according to their website:

https://www.polarbearinc.com/index.cfm/product/9534_540/ev-8491.htm ???

~Paul K.

Interesting. Appears to be the only website with a picture and description of the EV8491 evaporator.

Perhaps they build them (ā€œPBI replacementā€?) in house? All this copper doesnā€™t look anything like the factory units, which for the R134A system were all aluminum - discussion along similar lines happened here:

Supposedly Nissens 92259 crosses to JLM20609 as well. Illustrations match, but supplied pictures donā€™tā€¦ suggesting one or the other is correct.

I suspect the illus is correct because Nissens 92259 Supposedly also crosses with JLM200051 and that looks exactly (AFAI can tell) to JLM20609.

BEHR HELLA SERVICE 8FV351211121 is another cross shared with the DB7.

~Paul K.

The picture from Steve is what my 94 evaporator looks like, The one from Paul is nothing like mine.,

Ok, Iā€™m confused. Which picture? The Polar Bear one? (I found that). OR the Nissans one? (the Amazon pic is likely wrong, and the illus is likely right as thatā€™s a numerical cross for the Polar Bear one.

I donā€™t see any pics higher up & the link to Terryā€™s doesnā€™t show a picture.

Below: OEM left JLM20609, Polar Bear Right. JLM20051 next right (supposedly) and Nissens 92259 Illus below.

~Paul K.

Says right on it, ā€œGeneric Pictureā€. Nothing to do with the actual part.

As an aside: If I were rebuilding one of these systems Iā€™d be VERY tempted to use a similar fitting part that allowed me better replaceability in the future, and Iā€™d really want to convert over to an in-hose expansion needle with the newer style Ford clip-lock push-in disconnects. Something like this looks to fit & has connectors that donā€™t protrude through the firewall. Then push-lock connectors on one-end and screw fitting on the other ā€¦ adapters could be madeā€¦

Ok a little off topicā€¦ butā€¦ been thinking about a what if situation for a whileā€¦

Then again I"m not that familiar with the MkIIIā€¦ did it use push-lock connectors?

~Paul K.

The Polar Bear picture is correct for The R134 cars, the R12 cars had a similar look, but the fittings for the expansion valve were different.

I had ordered the Nissen from an eBay dealer, where the post said it would fit but it was totally wrong.