Replacing the Fog Light Bulb?

Looks like the bulb in the passenger side fog light of Harlem has blown. I checked the owner’s guide on how to change it, and it only says “it is recommended that this task be performed by a Jaguar dealer”, or some such. :expressionless:

So, what is the special trick to r/ring the bulb? Is a special Jag tool needed to do it? I remember trying in vain to get the (rectangular) fog light assemblies out of Scrapper’s (my X-300) spoiler tray to r/r those bulbs, to finally give up :confounded:. Did Jag makes this take any easier on the (round) assemblies of the X-308s?

The tool is JD 201 Hella fog lamp removal tool. You can see a drawing of it in the 2000 tool catalog on the JCNA tool loan page-perhaps you can make one.

Tried to grab a screen pic but failed–it is on P 42

TSB 15-01 shows how to use the tool. I gave that TSB to GUS so it should be on his site.

bob

Thanks. What is the website addy?

A piece of thin stiff plastic works or in my case…I have changed them thrice…a squeeze with strong fingers at the back from each side…Also found …do not use any LED type lights as the ‘blown bulb’ circuit cannot read them as a bulb and the warning light burns bright on the dash …really annoying… ( refer to Dealer…load of Jaguar crap).
Use high quality long life bulbs as they burn quite hot in their little glass enclosures and vibration is too much for cheap ones…I’ve tried them.

Regards David

Actually they are not glass containers but Quartz (hence the term Quartz Halogen) and your skin oil will burn through the housing if you touch it.

bob

For access to many TSBs you can check out Gus’s website.

http://jagrepair.com/

I believe he posts here often as well as the ‘other’ Jaguar forum.

bob

Bob, I didn’t realise that Gus was responsible for that most impressive site, although I’m been referring to it and recommending it it to others for many years.

Small world, as they say! :sunglasses:

Excellent site, btw and I have bookmarked it. :thumbsup:

The little glass enclosures I was referring to were the light units themselves. The bulbs are of course not to be touched as oil/dust or any contamination will cause the bulb to fail.

David

Sorry, I thought you meant the bulbs themselves!!!

Nevermind.

bob