Replacing the SCLM in my late 1996 XJ6 (USA)... any tips?

I’ve found the correct SCLM for my car, exact same part number, three-digit code, and frequency (433mhz). My VIN falls right after the change up to the system, but I’ve double checked what was in there and what I am going to install… it’s exact.

So, the question is, will I run into any reprogramming issues, or worse, totally deactivating my car, by swapping the old on for the new (used) one? I’ve heard horror stories and rumors that things can go wrong. Is there any truth to needing a dealer to reprogram the unit to the car? Possibly using their dealer-only PDU?

The unit I purchased came with one of it’s matching remotes, so that might help me out a bit. I’ve also found some clues on how to reprogram the existing remotes to work with the new unit (although, those instructions seem to apply to a 1998 XJ8, so I’m a bit unsure about that).

My plan is to disconnect the battery, unbolt and unplug the old unit, plug in the new unit, mount it back up, and then reconnect the battery and pray.

Bottom line is: should I expect any surprises? Is it easier than I’m making it sound? Anything specific I should (or should not) do?

You will need to configure your keyfob transmitters to the replacement SLCM.

(open boot and driver’s door, turn ignition switch to ON, operate VALET switch 5 times (sometimes I operate it until the car responds with the ‘learning signal’ more than 5 times is required) then press a button on the keyfob transmitter.)

You need to look at TSBs 18-06, 18-09, 18-10, 18-12.
I sent them to Gus years ago so he will have them on his site.

A total of 5 transmitters can be configured but only 2 will be configured to the MEMORY seat.

bob