Replacing the subframe bushings

Zigmund, I also saw the subframe moving. It’s visible on the right side between the exhaust down pipe and the car body. Also, if you raise up the car (put it on jack stands) you can check them with a long screw driver by push it between the bushing and the car’s under body.

UPDATE: I took the car to a suspension shop. They drove around for a minute, came back and confirmed clunking. Raised car, looked under, and with big long screwdriver confirmed moving on the bushings. Bad were both front and rear lower control arm bushings on both sides, as well as subframe bushings, on both sides as well. Shop charged 8.5 hours of work at $760 total to replace the 6 bushings, when I brought new ones.

I got the new ones on e-Bay for $70 for all 6, manufactured by URO.

No more front end clunking!

I wonder how they replaced the subframe bushings. I doubt they removed the whole subframe. I also bought URO made subframe and the upper control arm bushes. But I bought genuine ones for the lower control arms.

I think they did. They were struggling for three days to obtain the spring compressor before starting the job, and then they called and said they got it and will finish the job by the end of the following day. And they did.

I am glad I did this, as expensive as it was, since no more tramlining, and no clunking. It’s 6 months later, and I am happy every time I drive quietly over speed bumps :slight_smile: