Replacing the Windscreen Rubber

Replacing the Front and Rear Windscreen Chrome

With some extra time in the garage today, I began the process of installing the chrome surround on the front windscreen. As I said previously, the rubber is very hard. As a result, getting the chrome in place will be a chore, if it can be done at all. I am also concerned about damaging the glass.

I have two windscreen rubbers in very good condition, I think they are from a same year XJ6 I disassembled years ago for parts. They are very flexible with no cracks. I assume one is the rear and the other the front.

A parts catalog lists different numbers for the front and rear, so I assume they are not interchangeable.

If nothing else, I will measure the length of both the front and rear. I think a seamstress tape measure would be the best measure one in place. Or a piece of string pushed into the rubber recess and then removed and measured.

Looking ahead, there is what looks like a screw hole at the two ends of each chrome finisher. It seems that the end of the upper half and lower half, are joined together to keep them in place. There is a hollow at the point where the two halves of rubber meets. What goes into the two holes and a recess beneath them on two ends of the two chrome strips (one piece of rubber covers the left and a second piece covers the right half of the windscreen.) the chrome follows.

Thanks
Lou

Or (cheap) tape? Or just put on the seal and see if it fits. I wouldn’t risk cracking the screen. I don’t know what the fastener does. How does the matching hole in the body look? It might well be a rivet or screw, and some bell is ringing.
There is a cover over the joint and you might want to use a bit of heat and some soapy water in the installation process. Of course, do not stretch the rubber as it will shrink over time.

Lou,

the SII ROM is unspecific about replacing the finisher. Regarding the replacement of the screen it recommends heating the rubber to 50°C and using soapy liquid.

As for your question I’d start with one corner, continue with the opposite corner, then take the last corners and work through the centers. SII cars don’t have any screw or rivet to fix the rubber, but Federal cars seem to have nuts securing retaining plates to the screen finisher.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

You fit the rubber seal to the car frame first hammer in lightly with a rubber mallet if a little tight but make sure it is fitting in its groves all the way round.
If you don’t want to use soapy water you can use petroleum jelly just push it in the glass grove then slip the glass into this grove and work your way round the seal but only use plastic to leaver the rubber over the glass don’t put metal anywhere near the glass or it will break it. Take your time and it will go in you start at the bottom let the weight of the glass help you then work your way to the sides the do the top last you may need one helper inside to help with the top and one out side with a light push on the glass.