Replacing XJS flasher module

My blinkers are intermittent on my 84 XJS. The number on the module is TBB44 003425-03
I found a 4 pin module that is supposed to work here.

Mine had a wire or sensor of some sort glued and taped to the side of it. What is that for?

Probably so, if you found it by searching for the Jaguar part number or doing a look up with a make-year-model at an online parts store. If you are so inclined, you can study the electrical schematics for your car which will show the pin-outs and internals of the relay, and compare them to those of the selected part often embossed on the relay.

But if you want to be safe just call Coventry West or the like. You might pay a little more, but definitely in the small change category.

A few years ago, I did an LED conversion and made a little project of analyzing the DAC1731 (Hella TBB44) flasher. I posted on the subject.

Not all 4-pin flashers are functionally equivalent. The XJ/XJS requires that the 4th C-pin operate as a pilot circuit for the dash indicators. The typical auto parts store 4-pin flasher has a C2-pin for trailers etc and will hyperflash in a Jag. There are a handful of aftermarket flashers that are compatible with the DAC1731. I tested the Lucas, Rover, and Flosser devices; although I did not have a Uro device for testing, it would be shocking if it were incompatible (I use a lot of Uro parts). BTW none of these flashers are LED compatible.

Ron

1 Like

I did an LED conversion on my 2002.5 Mazda Protegé5. There are two different OEM flasher units, differing in how many turn signal bulbs they expect to see – but neither would appreciate the LED upgrade. I found an aftermarket flasher unit that lacks the bulb failure mode altogether, it simply flashes regardless whether the bulbs are burnt out or not.

This is a bit off topic… I searched extensively for a commercial flasher that was both compatible with the DAC1731 pinout and LED compatible (ie no bulb failure detection aka hyperflash mode). I found nothing. My solution was to modify an incompatible 4-pin flasher; it was inexpensive and simple to implement. I was an EE for 40+ years. If there is interest in the details of what I did, I can start a thread on the topic; my original posts on the old JL forum were quite terse.

Ron

The wire/sensor was probably going to a speaker somewhere in the cabin or under the dash to amplify the sound.

In that regard, years from now (hopefully many!) someone will be posting here asking “Why is a K-cup glued to the side of my turn signal relay.” :wink:

I assume your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you made that 1st comment. :slight_smile: Are you saying the sensor isn’t supposed to be there? My current module is one I pulled from a junk car which had the wire attached to the side as well. When I put it in mine I just taped the wire back to the side. I thought maybe it was a heat sensor or something but that doesn’t really make sense. It looked like it was partially embedded into the plastic or melted into it as it left a groove when I pulled it off. The end of the wire has a flat metal end on it.

I was completely serious in my 1st comment. I don’t know about the '84, but the original flasher on my '76 did not have any sort of attached sensor or wire, and neither did the replacement. But, I have seen aftermarket amplifier devices advertised online.

The 2nd comment was intended to be lighthearted, but true. To try to get a little louder click, I glued an empty K-cup to the side of the flasher. Helps a little, but not dramatically.

Hmm. I guess I don’t understand why a wire would be embedded into the side of the plastic flasher cover. There is no electrical connection to it so it wasn’t to draw power. There is a indentation on the plastic like it was heated and melted into the plastic. The one I removed from the donor car was the same way with black tape around it. I had to unwrap the tape and pull on the wire to detach it. So my only guess was that it was a heat sensor to prevent the flasher from burning up or something when left on. I don’t know what else it could be. Oh well can’t be too important. :wink:

Or, there was a nearby wire that got shorted out. But it would be really surprising for two cars have had the same issue.

Anyone ever figure out what that wire is for? My 89 has the same wire taped to the flasher unit. My blinkers are intermittent and I will be changing out the flasher unit relay