Replica D type suspension question

There is a very nice replica D type on BAT ( Lot #43,282) That has a altered rear suspension from a jag of some type. Im curious about the strength of the system, The half shafts have been shortened by about 2 in and the trailing arms eliminated. Also the half shafts have support shafts welded into them. It seems that all the half shaft force is centered on the lower differential supports. Is this a strong system? The half shaft supports dont seem to alleviate this situation .And the pumpkin is supported by the lower plate and a custom frame work. Am I wrong to be concerned about this arrangement?

Hi Pete…its quite standard on replica on the lower end C, D, Xkss replicas that use XJ6 as a doner vehicle for engine, geaebox, diff, suspension etc…basically the replica will also be around 2in wided than an original or higher end replica…they are sound and quite capable on the road and for track days …Steve

Hi Pete,

So I guess your question is “are the trailing arms absolutely essential in this design?”
The mods to the wishbones is not uncommon on those that race. It may even be a recommendation in mods to an E-Type for racing if I could find the book. It is also a mod where the Jaguar IRS is used in hot rods and Cobra kits. The reason they have shortened the wishbones and the half shafts is to narrow the track in the rear to be more accurate to the original dimensions,
The rear frame at the top is hidden but you can see a strut from the rear frame (behind the cockpit) disappearing towards the upper regions of the pumpkin (photo #196) and what appears to be an upper frame. If so it is likely that the pumpkin is attached to the upper frame as it’s primary attachment. There is also a lower frame attaching to the inner fulcrum shaft which also attaches to the rear frame behind the cockpit. So the pumpkin is solidly within or part of the chassis.
So unlike the E-Type where the IRS frame I think has some potential wiggle with the rubber mounts?
The wishbones and half shafts being shorter means there should also be less scope for fore and aft movement and less load on the fulcrum shafts.
So in total, in my opinion, not a problem.

Regards
Keith

I had a friend who had a Cobra replica with a Jaguar rear suspension set up like this - that is without a trailing arm. When he released the clutch to go you could actually see the rear wheel jump forward. All the E Type race cars I’ve seen, including mine had trailing arms, most modified to be a semi training arm, but none done with rubber mounts. I have no doubt that the setup in the D type will work but it’s not the best. There will be fore and aft wheel movement under acceleration and braking (latter will be toe out - not the best for stability).

2 Likes