Resealing coupe air extractors behind rear quarter windows

Does anyone have some pictures of the inner part of the air extractors behind the rear quarter windows on the coupes? I’ve got water intrusion that’s getting in then running into the cavity in behind the rear inner side panels. The rear quarter windows aren’t leaking. How do the air extractors seal around the perimeter and are there flaps that also have to seal? The workshop manuals and ROM don’t discuss them, and the parts manual really isn’t clear. I know I’d need to remove the rear quarter glass. But I’d also need to remove the bright trim surrounding the extractors, and there’s no information on doing that either.

Any help is appreciated. A search here didn’t turn up much.

1 Like

From what I recall on mine when I painted it, remove the corner piece (nut inside accessed through trunk/boot). Chrome trim snaps off, then drill out pop rivets holding retainers. Remove quarter glass and drill out pop rivets, then appliqué can be removed. Exhauster assembly has a number of flaps that seal with foam and the foam disintegrates. Exhauster is held by pop rivets and sealer; mine had cracks around the attachment points.

Thank you. That helps a lot. Jaguar sure liked open cell foam when they built the XJS. It either disintegrates, or holds water and causes rust. Or both!

The giveaway that the foam is gone is the rattle from the air extractor when you close the doors with the windows up.

There are few photos under the link below, I assume this is your root cause:
https://www.xjsbanger.co.uk/jaguar-xjs-rear-quarter-glass-removal

I bet your real problem relates to rotten section under the seal, rear panel can leak but only when butyl rubber is layed incorrectly by factory or if the plastic vent panels are cracked.

That helps. Thanks for the link. I don’t have rust, southern US car. I caught it early enough. The big issue is it water gets into that cavity, it can’t get out, plus open cell foam holds it.

Mind asking how do you know there is no rust under the seal?
It is quite unusual to get water into the bucket through the rear vent hence my question… Have you found water innthe bottom section behind rear side trim?

Yes, I found water there. But it was recent, after a car wash wìth a pressure washer. I removed the foam from that area, cleaned it, and coated the surfaces with POR15. Nothing but very minor surface rust. I also drilled a hole at the bottom so any water that manages to get in that cavity can drain into the rocker panel, and out the drain in it. I’m going to use non porous sound deadining on the cavity outer wall in place of the foam.

The car is southern, and has no rust in any of the usual spots.

??? Do we even have those on facelifts? The only air extractors I know about on them are the black plastic ones in the “B” pillars and what appears to be a bank of them underneath the rear window … (oh, and I think there are a couple along the sides of the boot w. flaps over them?) :confused: