Reshaping cardboard interior

On my centre console the side part adjacent to the handbrake and trinket tray is distorted.
I removed it today and find it is made of vinyl covered thick cardboard.

Anyone out there any experience of re-forming this sort of part ? do you think if I make it damp and reform it that it will hold it’s new position on drying back out?

I’m thinking its got to be worth a try but any other proposals?

Thanks, Mike (1973 DDS)

Mike,

never done it but I guess it would work if you kind of fabricated press forms for the period of drying. If you just make the part damp you can reshape it, but chances are the final shape won’t be the desired one and the cardboard will lose its firmness. “Underscuttle casings” show up on Ebay occasionally - probably easier to wait for a good one. Then again, I’m not aware of what DD6 SI dashboard fittings look like - you sure might try to just replace the flat parts in the parcel trays with new flat cardboard that you might treat with lacquer and fresh vinyl to make them good for the next 50 years.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hi Mike, I am assuming you mean the large piece that splays out from the console towards fascia, one on each side. [Not the under dash shelves on each side; the inner part of these shelves attaches to a stud coming from the part I mean.]

I have the same problem–there is a gap between the forward edge of these parts and the underside of the fascia. I’ve never thought of reforming them, but I did consider coming up with some sort of fastener that attaches below the fascia. Not easy though. I’ve had the problem since around 1985, so it should be approaching the top of my list.

FWIW, years ago I came up with a means of attaching these pieces to the console so that they could be removed in situ, not just after removing the entire console with them attached. I did that for convenience. Don’t think I’ve removed the console since then, of course.

A photo would help…