Resonator tip angle SII

When I was assembling my used exhaust system, I noted that only one of the resonators was painted black on the front end. Then I note that the cut angles of the exit pipe, are different. It’s one of those things that only the owner will likely notice, and be bugged by…
I believe my car was assembled by PO’s from various parts, including many from a 2+2.
I enclose a photo showing painted and unpainted resonators, borrowed from Ebay.
Different manufactures?
Can anyone enlighten me on why the black paint or why the exit angles are different?
By exit angle I mean the angle you see if you look straight down at the exhaust tips while standing close to the boot.

My recollection is that the tip is supposed to be vertical but most replacements (including mine) are cut at an angle.

1 Like

i believe originals were both angled and straight depending on supplier.

The tips of the resonators are supposed to be perpendicular to the ground but cut to compensate for the angle of the bottom of the boot.
This is a drawing from Heritage Jaguar as I was in contact with them preparing to purchase their mild steel system : it shows the angle of the tip.
tail pipe finish angle
I ended up purchasing the system, installation was a challenge due to some incorrectly bent connecting pipes but I was able to correct them. Actually the muffler tips were incorrect but I adjusted the connecting pipes

The resonators ended up parallel to the bottom of the boot ,with zero strain on the vulcanized rubber mount , BUT the tips are not exactly perpendicular to the ground.

It sounds great and I would purchase it again…but , to answer your question ,they should be perpendicular to the ground.

Marco

None of which are the S2 resonators you are asking about. Am I missing something?

S2 resonators s-l400

I only show the photo for the black paint. Yes mine are SII resonators, but only one is painted black. My conclusion is someone mixed manufactures so they don’t match.

here are a few snappers of my originals before they sailed off to the landfill.

I replaced them with a set of the chromed units from that ebay seller in Kalamazoo. Last shot is one of the chrome ones next to a SS Bell unit. I liked the color of chrome vs SS, the painted end and the back angle isn’t as pronounced as the Bell SS one.

Is one stainless and the other mild steel? I think the plated steel resonators were painted at the weld to prevent rust.

mine? yes, the unit on right is mild steel, the left side is a SS bell.

the SS was already discoloring after just a few years. turning sort of gold tint

Chromed steel with black paint from Heritage Jaguar (not sure who fabricates for them).