Restoration of data plate

The black printing on the data plate on my 1975 XJ12C has been wiped clean. Is there anyone who knows of a way to get it resrored?

Two low tech methods I’m aware of from researching the subject, neither of which I’ve tried. The better method is to start with a crisp b&w pic of a blank data plate from which to make a silkscreen - google “how to make a silk screen”.

A lesser method is to use a laser printer to print a mirror image of the blank onto thin, smooth clay filled paper as used to print magazines. You want a crisp, dark layer of toner. The print is overlayed onto the (lightly roughened with very fine sandpaper) data plate and taped in place at the edges then placed between a fold of paper and either fed through a laminator several times or pressed with a hot clothes iron to transfer the toner deposit from the smooth print onto the roughened data plate, followed by a coat of clear.

Again, never tried but some searching should yield instructive YouTube videos.

Let us know how you make out.

Classic Reproductions sells a repro plate: http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/Images/CP372.jpg

Maybe they can print you one on a clear sticker?

The toner silk screen can work nicely, and there are these special transfer paper sheets you can print onto and slide them on with water.

You can try clear coat and it is easy. I would definitely take that approach, and it should hold up well enough. What you need is a scan or make your own template, should not be too hard with a few trial runs on normal paper

David: Think it’s illegal in Pennsylvania USA where I live, but I bought a new blank plate from a supplier and then used a set of number punches to reproduce the original numbers. I carry the original plate in my car at all times.

Regards
Lou

I wouldn’t care about illegal if it is the same numbers on the plate and I doubt anyone would ask about that. Getting a new blank and punching that is probably the best solution, and decals the least intrusive.

Well, David - the rules are there to prevent counterfeiting, making life difficult for car thieves and swindlers…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

But nobody takes a picture and makes a DNA scan, if the rest looks the part we’re not trying to fool anyone :slightly_smiling_face: were it a concern I would go for the decal approach.

Instead of trying to restore a VIN tag, in some cases it is simply easier to create a new one. We restored a XJ6 and swapped in new engine and transmission, so the VIN tag was updated accordingly.

ORIGINAL TAG
VIN%20UC1L65224BW%20copy%202

NEW TAG

Instead of stamping the numbers, we created a PDF file and had a local trophy shop print it on a metal plate. Looks great in the car.

OK ! There are new data plates available that can either be punched or engraved. If the numbers are correct and original to the vehicle, is there a a concern about value from an originality standpoint. The plate in my S2 XJC looks terrible, just a blank piece of aluminum with numbers on it. What does Heritage or judging have to say about it ?

Look into the transfer paper above