Restore or replace my XJ-S...?

Hello everyone - I’ve been a member for ages, but not been around for a few years and sadly, I’m coming here with a sad XJ-S story which has resulted in a bit of soul-searching and the need to make a decision.

About 10 years ago, my XJS was about to fail its MoT due to corrosion so unable to do anything about it at the time I laid it up, taking care to protect it as much as possible with waxoyl and other products. It was already showing corrosion in all the favourite places (front wings, sills, base of the rear window, around the rear bumper, floors, etc) and although much of that is no worse, I hadn’t noticed that there was water getting in at the rear screen, and unfortunately the rear jacking points and radius arm mounts are all now a rusty mess with holes in the floor and probably a lot of other unseen corrosion present.

I’m wondering how far gone is too far gone - is it time to sell it off for parts and get something else, or is there any hope for resurrecting it? I’ve had a look around to see what’s available and although there are a fair few XJ-Ss for sale, there’s nothing of the same spec as mine or that I would like as much as mine if it were in better condition. My car is an early 3.6 manual, with cruise control and extra performance after a visit to TWR early in its life, and the fact that it’s black means that the bumpers and panels behind the rear windows are body-coloured which I think makes it look better than any other colour.

I’ve been offered a low-mileage 1990 3.6 manual by a dealer, and although I’m sure it would be a fabulous car and I trust them to prepare it for sale, I’m still not sure I want a late car and I’m not too fond of the colour. The new car is £15k. To be honest, I’d made my mind up to buy that car and sell mine as for parts until I started wondering about the logistics and cost of repairing my own car.

Why not a late car? - well I much prefer the pre-1987 interior and switchgear - the later cars always seem a bit more flimsy than the old ones. I hope it’s not an unpopular view that the more the XJS got facelifted and ‘improved’, the more its charms seemed to become diluted - the later cars are fabulous motor vehicles, but perhaps lack some of the character and ‘jaguarness’ of the early ones.

I guess the question I’m mulling over, is how much of a restoration does £15k get you these days? - and would it even be worth it to plough all that cash into an early XJ-S with 106k miles on the clock. I’m sure I’d be looking at new front wings, new floors, sills, and a load of other bits that can’t be seen - I know that the panel that the headlights screw to is also pretty bad, for example, and the inner wings are shot where the subframe and suspension units are - the original reason it was taken off the road.

The engine and gearbox are fine but it will need a complete suspension overhaul - something I’d plan to do myself.

You can see a few pics of my car here: Jaguar XJ-S | Flickr

As you can see - one of the cruel ironies is that I now have the undercover space to store it properly and look after it. It’s just a shame that it didn’t spend the last 10 years in my new workshop!

I’d be interested to hear your opinion about the best way forward.

1 Like

Unfortunately, 15K will probably not cover what your car needs if you are paying a shop to do it. I would look for another car of the vintage, color, and condition you desire; after all yours was laid up for 10 years- what is another year to find a replacement. But keep this one in case you need to transfer parts…then sell off.
It is a shame, as it is a good looking car.

1 Like

What year is your cat? In those pics, it appears to have an AJ6 engine, but parts of the body (e.g taillights) are pre-facelift. :confused:

Atty, I’m pretty sure the OP’s car is the same year as mine (or close to it). Mine is a 1986 XJSC with the 3.6L engine and manual gearbox.

S1m0nR - take all this with a grain of salt, but it sounds like your decision needs to be about what you want to do with the car. Does the idea of working on a car you have a lot of history with hold appeal vs. buying something newer and ready to hit the road? Either one is a valid choice. For me, personally, I’d wanted an XJSC since I was a kid, so I bought one knowing I had a long road ahead of unraveling weird choices made by the previous owner and sourcing rare parts for a pretty rare car. Like you, I wanted the pre-facelift 6cyl engine, which is especially difficult (in fact, nearly impossible) to find in the US. So now I finally have one and the whole fuel system is out of the back and I keep finding new weird things the OP’s mechanics did (they were not bright), but as much of a pain in the butt as it is, I’m enjoying the journey. Will you?

1 Like

S1m0nR… name? we friendly here!

My two cents…
First question is, are you going to do the work your self.
If yes, it’s still a feasible project, but a long one… and 15k will most probably suffice, including buying all the tools needed.
It will need a complete strip down, screens out and all and then some serious metal work.
You do all the prep yourself, get it professionally painted and then put slowly everything back together.

This is exactly what I’m currently doing on mine, had some rust but not as bad as yours.
Started last February and still going on.

If you are not going to do the work your self I think that 15K might not even cover the bodywork…
Get your self an other car and transfer things to the new one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 Like

You’ll save money, by buying it, over fixing the bad rust on the other.

Body rust on modern cars is not always worth the cost to repair. If it was older and the sheet metal thicker as were cars of the thirties that might be different… the xjs was made for twenty years and there are lots of them out there…

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your replies to my mini essay!

Apologies - I should have introduced myself after such a long time away from Jag-Lovers and also away from driving an XJ-S. My name is Simon, I’ve driven/owned an XJ-S since I was 24 - I’m now on the wrong side of 40 :frowning: I’m located near Cambridge in the UK and have always loved the Jaguar marque, although I also have an interest in other old British cars, particularly Rover and I drive a late Rover 75 Tourer as my other car. It’s great to meet you all :smiley:

My car is a 1985 XJ-S 3.6 manual, originally on a C-registration (for anyone who understands the UK numbering system) before it received a non-year specific Northern Irish plate in 1987.

This decision would be easy if it were made with my head and not my heart, the black XJ-S has been a lot of fun and we’ve been on some epic drives together (here’s a video from 2010 from the passenger seat of the drive to Loch Maree in Scotland: The A832 in the Western Scottish Highlands from a Jaguar XJ-S - YouTube the quality ain’t great but you get an idea of now lovely it sounds when it’s being wound up and I daren’t admit to the speed we were doing!)

It’s made a little more difficult because I know I can do some of the work myself, but not the welding. If I were to go ahead with the repair then I’d strip it down, assess it and then collect all the panels before having the work done. I may even spray it myself as I’ve got the space and most of the kit I’d need to do it, although I’ve never tried. The problem is time - I’ve got a 2-year old and I just don’t have any spare time so it would just be a lot easier to sell this one on for parts and buy a sorted one that I can enjoy driving.

On paper it’s a no-brainer as the new car will be mechanically perfect, has had all the paint work sorted and comes with a 3 year corrosion warranty after being professionally treated. It’s just, will I be happy with a Champaign gold later car that doesn’t have the same character as my original car.

BTW, I know that the black car has been to Tom Walkinshaw racing in its past and it seems to have a very fruity engine note (a lot more induction noise than others I’ve driven) and it also seems a bit more powerful than other 3.6s I’ve driven. Where do you think I need to look to find out what’s been done to it? I’m wondering if a bigger trumpet on the air box would account for that increase in growl.

Consider this: Purchase the 15K car and transfer the engine and all of the other bits that you cherish.

2 Likes

The salient point for me is the rust. What one sees is the tip of the ice berg. much more to be discovered.

Fixable sure, most anything is. With a lot of skill or a lot of money!!!

it does bring back memories of a past lister. Teddycan. A nucleur engineer by trade. mastered MIG and did amazing rust repairs on a XJ6 and an XJS.

Simon . . .
I share your pain. We grow attached to fabulous cars - I have a Marcos that I purchased new 51 years ago in Manchester - I wouldn’t part with it for any reason. However, I think you have answered your own question:

I can tell you from experience that if you don’t have any time now with a 2-year old, you definitely, for sure, won’t have any time when the little dear is 5, 9 or 13 years old.

1 Like

Ron, what are you talking about, that’s free labor he’s grooming over there…in a few years he’ll have FOUR hands to work on that car!!!

3 Likes

Really? Dear departed and I raised a son and a daughter. I built or fixed more than a few during those years. Son got the fever. Now a top notch fabricator and machinist and mechanic.

Dad and son projects work well.

37 Packard 110 coupe 23 Ford T speedster from scratch. 40 Ford pickup, from derelict to run and drive. . 41 Cadillac convertible. Revived from year long slumber at a lien yard. A couple of 57 ford Pickups… 55 Dodge pickup

and a heck of a lot more…\

Carl .

4 Likes

Didn’t mean to dissuade you; I personally do my own sheet metal, welding, and painting (no formal training in any) and consider my work as good as any collision shop. Price the sheet metal (Martin Robey probably is a place to start) and go from there.
Personally I believe painting is easier to master than body work, it’s all in taking your time to prep.

1 Like

Yep, that has to be the “beefiest” (e.g. “hot rod”) sound I ever heard from an XJS, esp. a 6-cylinder, Simon1. :open_mouth: I have had people mention how (stealthily) quiet Superblue is on the road. :cat: , but like that is a bad thing (again, a “sheep in wolf’s clothing” :roll_eyes: ). My thoughts on that subject are that back in the day of our XJSes the idea of making a sports car run super quiet was “cool” - nowadays it seems the going thing is just the opposite, esp. with the young(er) crowd. They want their sport cars as loud/noisy as possible … :loud_sound: I guess to call more attention to it when going down the road, maybe? :confused:

btw, I’ve never been to Scotland, but learned a few things from that video: (1) didn’t know there were areas that are still pretty must forested w/o signs of civilization (except for the highway) and (2) never knew it had mountains … :open_mouth: (I guess that’s what they mean by “highlands”? :roll_eyes: )

1 Like

Hmm. I wonder where @teddykan is now?

Unforgettable indeed !!!

But, you are on the right side of the grass, you young whippersnapper!

:wink:

Enjoy that Jag!

2 Likes

Well, thanks everyone for the sanity check - looks like it’s as I’d feared: the black XJS is a gonner - or more accurately a good source of parts for another car.

This turned up on eBay today:

An interesting proposition, although if I were to consider it I’d need to take a long hard look at the underside as they’ve mentioned rust issues and you have to wonder why it’s been abandoned. I’d also need to see how extensive the work was prior to the respray - if it’s a cheap blow-over, covering all the problem areas with filler then I’d be no better off.

The upside is that buying that car would leave £9k in the budget for suspension rebuilds, welding and proper undersealing.

Has anyone here done an auto to manual conversion on a 6 cylinder car? - you can see where this is going, can’t you: stick the engine and box from my car in that one and enjoy that sound once again from a black XJS… More or less what you said @A.J_Simpson

That car is about 3 hours drive from me so I think it may well be worth making an appointment to look at it.

2 Likes

Remember you get what you pay for… hurry costs … Good things happen to those that wait… The harder you look the less you find… The meek shall inherit the best Jaguar… how did that get in there. Lol

1 Like