Restored video from mid-60's San Francisco

I saw this in a recent Bay Area news article.

I am sure at least a few of you will enjoy this three and a half minutes of video filmed from a cable car driving around San Francisco in the mid-60’s.

It’s quite a tour down memory lane for old-car enthusiasts. A white e-type is briefly seen parked at 28 seconds, and a blue OTS crosses in front of the camera ten seconds later. The diversity of great looking cars is fun to watch.

Nobody seems to have narrowed down the year in which it was most likely filmed.

2 Likes

Omg my 54 mercury in park lane green!
Mine was Lakeland blue
A second one had the Sun Valey it’s at least 1963/1964
From the white Chevy impala

Great video. I"m old and it demonstrates that since I recognize everything. Great to see what was a virtually new E-type going by. Also there’s a Healey at about 1:55. Think of the days when the cars were relatively common and you could park them where you wanted to be.
pauls

I didn’t see a single car newer than a 1963 model. So, I’m guessing the video was shot some time in 1963 or possibly as late as early 1964.

1 Like

I saw the white 63 impala on the left…
I think the bonneville rear is a 64…

Wonderful diversity in styling back then. Chrysler sure was turning out some bizarre looking cars. Sad that today things have mostly devolved into into 4 basic shapes. Kinda reinforces how at 5 years old in 1965 I had already been smitten by the E. It was in a different league even in that age of styling creativity.

David
68 E-type FHC

Morris or Austin 1100 at 3:46

And lots of VW bugs running around town I see.

Yes, it’s before Lt. Frank Bullitt arrived in town - I was looking for him in the back seat of a Sunshine cab! That video took me back to when we visited SF in the mid-70’s, Haight-Ashbury district and all. I remember a hippie dude offering me “a flower for my nose”. Peace to ya, brother. LOL. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Corvette at 1:53 and, of all the crazy things, an Amphicar 770 at 3:28 !

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Here’s one from Santa Monica (where I lived for most of my teenage years) but it’s a bit later…1967-ish I’d say

Corvette 0:16 and 1:11
MGA 1:07
XKE 1:38
Porsche 356 2:36
Alpine 2:54

Lots of VW Bugs, Corvairs, and Ford Falcons in these 60s videos

Cheers
DD

1 Like

1 12 a 67 corvette with rally wheels and beauty rims…Sad that we know every car, every option.
Great times…
So its at least 1967, no tents? or shopping carts? Thank You Ronald Reagan!
And they thought it was dirty then…bahaaaaaa.
p.s. dont think its political since the area and the people are all DEAD.

How disappointing. :scream: After watching movies and TV shows set in Southern California for most of my life, I thought everybody there drove a convertible. :rofl:

A Bentley as 0:54.

1 Like

I have to point out: both E-Types had wide whites.

4 Likes

YES and look good as well…

Simca-0:26
Big Healey–1:56
Renault Caravelle—2:28
MGA—2:49
544 Volvo----3:13

Still looking for a DKW…:wink:

Certainly was, but I miss not one damn bit the steaming piles of sh_t most of them were.

Love the guys standing on the tram step as it goes along…. We had trams too…… and I did stand on the steps like that with school bag I. One hand and holding with the other….
Never recall anyone falling off !:scream:…… guessing us kids were invincible !

Did anyone notice the Amphicar at 3:28? Even back then, it was an uncommon sight.

1 Like

0:39

On the right. Is that a DKW?

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I think that was Borgward Isabella coupe.

2 Likes