Restoring/replicating AUTO-R and BEES BSF bolts

So, if I have this right, XK120s are assembled with fasteners featuring BSF, BSW, BSP, BA, UNF and ANF threads?

Jeez.

Enough to cause an anal restorer to prolapse.

1 Like

Note to self: stop provoking Nick with my attempts at humour. He may reciprocate.

1 Like

That was why the ANF fasteners were red, to avoid mismatching. My theory anyway.
I found red ANC bolts holding the baffle in my 120 sump.
UNF came along later, but the difference is only in the manufacturing tolerances. Can’t think of any BSW on a 120 offhand.
Could be worse, there are BSC nuts in the Mark V and earlier pushrod engines. I never heard of BSC until I needed one.

I found quite a lot of red bolts on my Feb 1955 140

Ah. So only five different thread pitches. That’s a relief.

I was unaware of the ANF thread, so I learned something today. I’d thought the red coloured bolts were BSW.

See?

It’s not just climate science you learn on this car forum…:grimacing:

Another good data point. The use of red ANF bolts seems to have gradually ended early in the 140 era, as we’ve had very few reports of red bolts on 140s and none on 150s.

Sooo… Running down to the local Ace bolts bin is out then, eh?

Let’s restore another British car, he said. It’ll be fun, he said. There are plenty of parts available and you’ll enjoy it, he said. Why, you’ll only have to contend with 74 different nuts and bolts and threads and washers and bolt heads and castle nuts and cotter pins and we haven’t even gotten to the fun stuff yet… he said.

1 Like

Livin’ the dream!!!

:smile:

I so glad I only had TWO that needed to be replaced… from Jaguar’s own stores. in 1982… turned up in a dusty package all the way from Coventry!

I would think the studs into alloy parts had UNC ,close cousin to BSW. , on the end into the alloy.

Yes, they do, ANC screws in the sump as I said, ANC screws on the bell housing bottom cover, and ANC studs and screws in the intake manifold and head. The studs are ANC on the end that goes in the alloy part and ANF on the nut end. UNC is a later development from ANC, tolerances again.

Are there also some SAE fasteners on the XKs? The Mark V parts list calls for some SAE nuts related to Rob’s mention above.

Yes, the front suspension, brakes, steering box attachment bolts, most everything attached to the chassis is ANF or SAE, other than the rear axle itself which remained BSF for awhile until Salisbury converted. Most everything on the XK engine other than fuel pipe and water pipe fittings. Not the gearbox which was BSF, I don’t know when Moss converted.
In the late 1940s British industry was getting away from the Whitworth system, going to the SAE system, and Heynes took the opportunity with the new IFS chassis and XK engine to convert at Jaguar.

The bolt heads on Tweety’s 1962 Moss 'box were Whitworth, but I have no clue what system the threads were.

@Erica_Moss has her Moss 'box apart: maybe she could check.

Mine were still BSF in '64.

I guess somebody should respond to this one.
These cars were built during a transitional period at Jaguar. In most cases we are dealing with bolts going into threaded holes in parts, or captured nuts in body panels. So identifying the correct thread is the challenge here. I have found a few cross threaded bolts in things on my cars.
But in chassis fittings which are generally ANF/UNF, or cases of a bolt and a nut holding something together, then yes “Ace is the Place” for UNF bolts and nuts.

Hi Paul,
I am badly in need of BEES bolts for my 64 E-type OTS restoration. All bolts for subframe, etc. were replaced by zinc plated bolts from the hardware 40 years ago. Sadly, I was too young to know better ! Do you still have any bolts left?

Of those lengths, I do not: my stock is more along the lines of 3/4" long to 2" long bolts, and associated nuts.