Restoring Steering Wheel Growler Badge

Nearing the end of a very extensive vehicle restoration of my beloved X300.

Does anyone know how best to restore the X300 aluminum steering wheel growler badge?
The first photo show two badges, the original but worn finish badge, and a second badge after a quick lacquer paint thinner bath.

The second photo shows the three fingers which secure the badge to the leather covering the air bag.

Jim Ursulak
Vancouver, BC
1997 XJ6

On a related note (funny coincidence), are all X-308 wheels supposed to have a growler badge on them? Reason I ask is that Harlem’s wheel doesn’t, but instead has what appears to be the face of a growler “etched” or engraved in the (leather) center. I’m wondering though whether it is the remains of adhesive used to secure a growler badge to the wheel that has since come off. :thinking:

It’s called embossing, Paul.

As for the original post, the gold alloy finish is called anodizing and lots of places could restore it. Anodizing is actually silver/colorless on polished aluminum but the layer absorbs dyes so a second treatment can be in many colors.

Thanks Peter. Following up on your reply I approached a local aluminum anodizing shop. A quick chemical test of the badge metal determined that it was not aluminum but likely painted tin. My next stop was my trusty Jaguar dealer where a long time mechanic there told me he remembered the badges were stamped, then to leave the creases accented, black paint was sprayed onto the badge then quickly wiped off, and finally a tinted clear coat was applied. This photo, taken from a 1997 Jaguar XJ6/Sovereign sales brochure, confirms the growler was neither anodized nor painted a single colour. Mystery solved.

Interesting. I may refurb mine then, which has a shiny nose :-).

Timing is everything! I found a brand new AGE steering wheel airbag “service module” on eBay.
Here is a photo taken of the brand new “in the flesh” growler badge. The detail is much better than the brochure photo.