Retracting the Chrome Ferrule

Been having one heck of a hard time getting the metal ferrule (think “foreskin” :laughing: ) to retract back on the door handle of the driver’s door of Superblue so I can access the screw behind it in order to remove the door panel. :confounded: I tried spraying the handle with lubricant and yanking on the ferrule with large channel-lock pliers, prying a big screwdriver (slot) tip under it, etc. but it will only budge enough that I can see the screw, but not enough to be able to access it with anything for removal. :angry:

Any suggestions for getting the ferrule to slide further back? I’d hate to cut up the leather on the handle (which is already scuffed up from apparently the PO retracting it before) or have to try to cut the ferrule off with a mini saw. :grimacing:

Good chance it’s catching on the leather itself. You could try wrapping the leather very tightly with tape or something similar. I have always found them tight but generally am able to “walk” them back by moving one side at a time in very small steps.

Just did this last week, I found if you pull it back just a bit, then rotate it 90 degrees, it will slide out a little better.

I had same problem…you can use vaseline or lanolin body creams…it is real tight …you only need to move it a little to get a screwdriver in there…still scuffs…I bought a vinyl repair kit and mixed the color up to match and painted it on…cleaned it first by gingerly using alcohol…be carefull alcohol can take off dye on the good areas…then coat with the repair kit…let dry…then cut off any little nibs…recoat and hope you dont have to do it again.

additionaly…you could change the screw to a hex head…use end wrench…thereby not having to pull it so far back…