Rev counter not moving

Sorry for late reply. Oltmeter shows over 12 V with engine off and around 13.8 with the engine charging. From this it appears that the alternator and tr4 unit are functioning normally. The 3AW should show between 16 & 20 ohms across the AL and E terminals and close to 0.0 ohms across the WL and E terminals. Mine is a new relay but only shows 14 ohms across AL & E terminals. Could this be the problem, ie bimetallic strip not shutting off the power to the ign warning light when charging?

If the new one is solid state, then bets are off. Measure voltage on the AL wire with the engine running, using the AC scale on a DVM.

The new 3AW is the old “can” type. So I’m going to order a solid state type to see if that makes a difference

Do the test first, you may not have a bad 3AW.

Let’s not forget the tach drive generator itself might be the culprit. A “drive dog” connecting to the camshaft spins a tab that is notorious for pushing into the generator body resulting in it no longer spinning, so no signal to the tach.

Thanks but my year model doesn’t have the generator on the back of the cam shaft

Kind regards
Alan

Whoa…Series 1.5, as your profile says? I thought it still was on this series. My bad.

As ever with series 1.5 it’s hard to tell what it should have compared to what it’s actually got. It’s mid 1968 so lots of changes some of which were short lived

Alan

1 Like