Reverse tail lights stuck on

When in “drive” back up lights on?

On the S1 at least the reversing lights operate from a switch attached to the shifter (similar for the starter lock out). The switch is mechanically adjusted so that it contacts a cam so that it is closed only in reverse. Perhaps this cam-to-switch button adjustment is out of whack. Alternately, there may be a short circuit that powers the lights directly from ignition, bypassing the switch. IMHO.

Probably a faulty switch, yes.

What kind of car?

If you have an early Series III the back-up light switch is a ball-plunger design at the gearshift. Adjustable, sometime sticks, sometimes can be lubricated back to life.

Later Series IIIs had a combination back-up-light and neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission

Cheers
DD

Whoops. The car is listed as a V12 VDP–as late as they get. So ignore my post.

1992 Series III Canadian V12

The back-up light switch is on the gearshift assembly. It’s one of those common micro-switches with a little actuating arm.

Might be stuck or broken, might just need adjusting

Cheers
DD

understood . . . will give it a go

Doug–So back to the shifter location because it’s a V12? That tranny didn’t provide for the combination switch?

Wait!

I may have spoken to soon. Gah, I have too many Jaguar tidbits banging into each other in an increasingly befuddled brain. Compunded by having had only one cuppa coffee !

It might be the ball-plunger type. In any case, it’s at the gearshift assembly. If you see a ball-plunger switch, that’s it !

Cheers
DD

Yes.

Oh, I’m sure Jaguar could have used a trans mounted switch if they really wanted to. But, they didn’t. So, yes, it’s at the shifter on the V12s.

Cheers
DD

Item #4 in this illustration

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C06.C0644.C0644257.C06442574948/brand/jaguar/

As an aside I’ll mention that Jaguar often mis-identifies switches in the parts diagrams. One of the other switches in this illustration is called a ‘kickdown switch’ when, in fact, is simply…isn’t.

Cheers
DD

And IIRC it’s on the driver’s side of the shifter. At the front of the shifter are two cams that operate two microswitches. The added one of those switches in 73. Earlier cars had a single switch, similar to a brake light switch, at the front. One of those is the neutral safety switch I think, but I can’t remember what the other one is. Can you recall why there are three switches on the shifter (each with it’s own cam profile–closed in reverse, closed all positions except N and P, and ???

Let’s see…

Neutral safety switch
Back-up light switch
Cruise control inhibit switch
And…?
Another?

Still mulling…

Cheers
DD

DAC3844 just purchased replacement just in case

Hahaha. Curiosity killed the cat…I just broke down and looked in the parts manual. No cruise on the S1–the third switch is for the seatbelt warning light, which was added to the centre of the instrument panel between tach and speedo in 73, at least for US cars. That necessitated fitting two cams instead of one at the front of the shifter, and using microswitches instead of a single push button brake light style switch.

1 Like

Cuz the TH400 behind the V12 had no provision for back up switch.

My shift tower came from an XJS with V12. Switch on the side of the shift tower. Mine is bonkers as well… I removed the bulbs… Next summer, mebbe, open the console and fix it???

Carl

1 Like

Neither did the Borg Warner, originally. But it was a simple matter to make it so. For whatever reasons the same was not done with the 400. Good decision, IMO. I never cottoned to the idea of switch gear being exposed to the elements although, in actual practice, they don’t give much trouble.

Fortunately it isn’t really a big deal to open things up for access. A few screws, pull the window switch connectors, lift the ‘ski slope’ away. Then just four nuts to remove the plastic quadrant cover.

Cheers
DD

Thanks, Doug.

I am a past master at opening the console!! I’ve posted a simplified approach in the past. Window switches !!!

Alas, I used an older switch when I swapped. It was on the tower!!! Yuk, I had a new one that came with my “conversion”. Tower and switch sold off a as “unneeded:” left over !!! I trust it serves elsewhere.

This has been an eventful year. At last eyes fixed. New lens in each . Macular issue being treated. And 90 years old. No longer have the energy and dexterity that was once mine. But, I am “top side” and do what I need to do… Including a major push to get my DL renewed…

Ugh, bill pay days.

Carl
Thanks

3 Likes

Minor coolant leak from the L:T1 or the Jaguar remaining plumbing??

Carl

At least the mis-identification in this case should cause no confusion, Doug - a ‘kick-down switch’ on the gear lever would make no sense…:slight_smile:

But was this a Jaguar parts catalogue misnomer - or made by the parts vendor…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)