RH Rear engine mounting bracket

I am rebuilding a 58 XK150 and have opted to fit a 4 speed O/drive gear box in lieu of the original Moss box.
I pretty sure the O/D box came off an S type. My problem is that the original right rear mounting bracket leaves me with no space to fit the clutch slave cylinder. Has any one encountered this problem before, and if so what is the solution? The only thing I can think of is either modifying the mount in some way, or blocking up the existing mount to provide the necessary clearance.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
David Leigh

David how about helping us out and tell us which bell housing you used.

david leigh of Bunbury Western Australia I presume?
easily sorted give us a call
terry 0407797003

Hi George
thanks for responding, I can’t find any identification marks on the bell housing, but I have attached some photos that might clarify the situation. Apparently I can only post one photo, hope this helps

Ok I see your issue. You have a later bell housing on which the slave mounts. The 150 had a bracket which mounted the slave. You will either have to find a 150 bracket or modify the mounts to accept the bolt on slave. I think the simplest would be the prior but you will end up fabricating an operating rod I am sure.

Thanks George
I will explore both possibilities.

Just looking at what you have, this could be an option- This is just an idea, and may be an option

Your existing bracket is on the bottom 3 bolts.
You could modify the bracket by cutting off the 2 lower bolt holes (the blue hatched) (this may give you sufficient space to mount the slave) and add steel (the red hatched bit) so you get the full 3 bolts??
By modifying the old bracket, it will make the job so much easier than making one from scratch -good welding required!
Regards

Marc

I don’t think the XK150 slave bracket will do you any good. Here’s one on an early bellhousing in a LHD XK120. You can just make out the edge of the engine torque arm on the right.

The easy and best way to fit synchro gearbox to XK120 140 and 150 is to use original XK bell housing, original flywheel and original starter motor as these all work together. All that is required is a machined insert in the front of the old bellhousing to retain oil seal etc
2 ways to do this cut a circle of aluminium out of the snychro bellhousing and machine to fit with step in front old bellhousing or machine up insert from scratch.
Doing it this way means you don’t need to reinvent a clutch system.
I made the first one of these back in 1977 and done 50 or so to date

Thanks Gezzler
Been heading down a similar path. I’m going to lift the mounting bracket up to the next set of bolts, and make a spacer piece for the rubber mount to sit on.
Many thanks for your efforts

Thanks Mike
Looks like there’s lots of ways to skin a “cat”
Many thanks

have you seen this??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XK150-Bell-housing-with-Clutch-fork-and-operating-lever-/182350842340?hash=item2a74f509e4:g:4T8AAOSwB09YJfbH

Thanks Gezzler, but I have gone with modifying the bracket.

I hope you don’t mind that this is a little off subject, but I came across this posting when looking (without success) for a solution to the following question. I am wishing to replace the engine mounts on my 1957 LHD XK150 SE FHC with the engine in situ. I started by trying to remove the RH Rear one but have been unable to get a spanner or socket onto the large single bolt going roughly vertically down into the rubber mount, access being blocked from just about all directions. Am I missing something please? Hoping somebody can advise me! Many thanks, Tony.

Firstly ,remove the clutch bracket [2 1/2 inch. bolts, and bungee out of way, remove the two bolts holding mount to chassis, lift bell housing with jack to remove weight from mount, now see if you can rotate mount slightly in a clockwise direction if you are under the car, if it moves place a ring spanner on 3/4 nut to stop rotation, then keep rotating mount.
If all fails to move, remove the three long bolts holding the bracket which the mount is fixed too, so that you can remove the bracket and mount together.

Thank you “myfdun” for your rapid and helpful reply. I shall also be replacing the gearbox support which I have yet to order, so I’ll wait for that to arrive and then do them all at once and then report back.
Thanks again
Tony
PS: Nice dog!

I have just noticed that I had promised to report back about my replacing the RH rear engine mounts once I’d got a new gearbox support. In the end I did change the gearbox support (whilst I had the transmission tunnel removed as part of the installation intensive heat insulation, and so easy to do) but I’ve not felt it necessary to replace the engine mounts as these were in much better condition than the gearbox support.