RHD 140 FHC Engine Bay Queries

Hello Folks, just piecing together what should go where in the engine bay on my 56 RHD 140 FHC, using the Viart/Porter books as my main guides. Does anyone have a photo showing location of the starter solenoid and the chassis plate. I can find lots of refs to these items’ locations on other models in LHD format but not FHC RHD. Would very much appreciate a definitive steer.

Thanks in advance, J.P.

ID plate mounts on LH inner engine valence panel ie vertically alongside exhaust manifolds.
I will see if I can find pic for starter solenoid

Thanks Terry, much obliged. Jon.

Jon Prior
Tel: +44 (0) 7917 623 066

Jon,

Further to the input from Terry, see the 2 pics attached. Don’t know whether the RHD FHC is fully identical to LHD but I assume the starter solenoid is at the same spot which in my case (LHD 1955 FHC) is the lower bulkhead at the RH side. In your case this would be under the steering collumn. The solenoid is mounted with the electrical connections on top and the (rubber) push knob at the bottom.

Bob K.

That is excellent Bob many thanks! I have a feeling that on the RHD FHC, the chassis/ID plate is mounted on the top of the left hand side (passenger) footwell bulkhead alongside the wiper motor, as per the attached (I know the screenwash is non-original)? It seems from the pics that I’ve seen (like yours) that the LHD FHCs have their chassis plates on the LHS inner wing panel as you say. It’s all a voyage of discovery! Cheers, J.P.

Hello Bob, many thanks thanks for helping me out with those photos.

I’m in the midst of fitting a replacement wiring loom to my car and as your knowledge is far greater than mine on the FHC I wondered if you could help me with a couple of queries:

Could you tell me if the front to rear wiring harness section runs through the RHS sill (as per the diagram in Viart’s book) or via the screen pillar/roof channel before emerging at the rear boot compartment? When I stripped out my old loom, the run from front to rear was via the roof channel but I’m not convinced that was as original?

Secondly, what route from o’drive relays to gearbox should the overdrive loom take? Does it run into the interior from under the voltage regulator and then internally down to the sill, then out to the g’box via the nearest chassis outrigger?

Any pics would be very useful.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

Hi Jon,

The description in Viart’s/Payne’s book is absolutely correct for the XK 140 including the FHC. The main wiring loom front to rear runs through the RH sill and then upwards on the inside the cabin over the rear inner wing. So not via the screen pillar and above the door.
I had a wiring harness for overdrive cars. It had a GP wire (to 4th gear switch) which was part of the “front to rear” loom. The GB wire to the OD solenoid comes from the (single or double) relay(s) near the fuse box and should also run down the bulkhead, via the RH sill following the same route as the other wires to the gearbox and OD. Unfortunately, I cannot remember whether this GB wire was also part of the “overdrive harness” or a separate one.

Hope this helps. Bob K.

Thanks Bob, that is excellent and very timely help. I’m glad I checked as it would have been most annoying to install it incorrectly! I will check the OD harness re the GB wire. Kind regards, Jon.