RHD curved brake pedal stem

Could some kind Antipodean member (or even UK) advise me, please, on the shape of the curved brake pedal stem for a 140DHC? I have the correct pedal forging, but still have the LHD curved stem. This has a 90deg bend at the top, and the pedal pad welded on. I believe the RHD and LHD should be different - could someone tell me in what way they are different?
Viart’s book gives the different part numbers, but has no picture of a RHD, so no clues as to how they are different.
Thanks, Roger

This might help LHD RHD 140 brake pedal

Thanks Steve - I checked all Big Jim’s input, but the video only deals with the forged pedal arm, not the curved actual pedal stem that comes through the hole in the bulkhead. Plus his is* a FHC which may be different.

• actually, was - he sold it a while ago now.

If anyone with a RHD 140DHC could stick their phone behind the brake pedal and just take a photo of how the stem welds on to the pedal, I’d be really grateful! Daren’t paint it until I know, and Viart tells me they’re different.

Hi Roger, I have my RHD 150 Pedals out at the moment… I would expect them to be the same as the 140. I can photo tonight when I get home from work if this helps…

Thanks Jon, it might - I have no idea if the two are the same. Is the master cylinder bolted to the side of the chassis in the same position? That might dictate where the pedal comes through the bulkhead, I don’t know. If you get a chance that would give me some clues!

Consider it done (in 12 hours)

I think you will find that XK140 EXPLORED was a joint authorship with myself, indeed I did the overwhelming majority of all the research/intellectual prospect aspects, with Viarts main contribution being the magnificent line drawings. But yes, you are correct, although I detailed all the part number variations, LHD, RHD, and FHC or DHC/OTS - noting DHC and OTS are the same, and FHC is totally different - we limited the illustrations and didn’t cover all variants. Please understand all the illustrations are done on Adobe Illustrator software, but the all based on actual photos of components and/or assemblies that I had to put together, albeit the Adobe Illustrator process process allows for considerable freehand artistic license to the accuracy of the original photo - so important detail can be emphasised, and non-original detail can be deleted (or modified). The overwhelming number of CHASSIS related photos are indeed taken off my LHD OTS that I am accurately converting to RHD, thus all will be identical for your LHD to RHD DHC - but again I emphasize many things are totally different for FHC, including the Pedals and Pedal Stems. With my conversion from LHD to RHD I did of course sort out all the theory/part number aspects whether same or different, so was able to focus on every detail difference LHD to RHD (thus also vice versa). To turn that theory into practice, I was very fortunate to have access to a local friends original RHD DHC that is totally dis-assembled in careful dry storage, thus have been able to borrow any RHD parts as a template/reference to convert my LHD parts if possible, or make/buy if not-possible. This includes both converting my C.7550 LHD OTS/DHC Brake Pedal to an exact/accurate C.7549 RHD Pedal, and my C.9554 LHD Stem and Plate Assembly to an exact/accurate C.7782 RHD Stem and Plate Assembly. Please note that it is essential that you accurately reproduce/modify both Pedal and Stem, otherwise the Stem will not move centrally/concentrically within the hole in the bulkhead (toeboard) sheetmetal (assuming you have positioned the hole accurately in your LHD to RHD conversion), with the (special) C8166 GROMMET (and C.8298 Ferrule) assembly only allowing for some/little eccentricity… Anyway, re your specific inquiry this time, see pics…

These two pics show my original LHD C.9554 , but just the stem, after the Plate has been carefully cut off, and my modified/replicated RHD C.7782 that re-uses my original Plate (cut off from Stem) but with a new made from scratch Stem that replicates that on my borrowed original C.7782. So yes, the LHD Stem has a bend, and is welded to the Plate through a hole in the base of the PLate. The RHD stem has no bend (apart from the main curve) and directly enters the now drilled/cleaned out 3/8 diameter hole in the original PLate and its end welded only on the inside base of the PLate…

See photos of the reproduction RHD stem entering/welded to the hole in my original LHD plate (identical to RHD).

I made up a new Stem as it wasnt worth the effort to modify/reuse the original LHD stem given the sharp bend at the PLate end resulted in the straight part not being long enough, without straightening the bend.
The only other issue was machining in the groove for the locating bolt into the clamp end of the brake pedal…,

And if you are interested, see also the original RHD Brake Pedal and Stem & Plate assembly that I borrowed ex original RHD DHC, that also shows the remnants of the Grommet and Ferrule, the Circlip and the Felt Seal… in correct assembly order position…

Yeah, Wot Roger said… I was going to go for a more detailed explanation but you will have to work with the above brief summary…:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

Missed earlier question - Master Cylinder is mounted outside CHassis Rail on RHD, again with OTS/FHC being identical complete RHD set up, with FHC different…
See pic below showing Master Cylinder with Plate needing to be modified, LHD different to RHD…

And of course you will have LOTS of fun, correctly putting together the Clutch Pedal/Actuating Shaft and adjustment, mostly reassembly of same LHD parts, but the actual Main Shaft is totally different, so no choice but to buy a new one - from a reputable supplier…

Note, a couple split pins in place but not yet secured, and same with bolts/nuts - but every component pictured is either original or 100% accurate reproduction, including split pins, washers, nuts, springs etc - and note the Trimount Clips on the fuel line and RHD brake lines…

Well, you couldn’t ask for a better description than that! Thanks Roger.

Looking at your comparison photo of the two curved shafts, it does seem that the proper way to do this is to make a new shaft as the original LHD one will be very short once cut. That will take extreme care as any deviation from the radius will affect how it travels through the bulkhead, obviously. Luckily I managed to obtain an original RHD C.7549 forged pedal, complete with stamped rather than embossed part number, so I’ll trust that to have the correct curvature.

Thanks for including the photo of the stem seal etc. - I still don’t fully understand how this provides any form of seal against the sheet metal bulkhead, though. I have in my new parts box a pair of black ‘rubber’ stem covers for the pedals, which are a snug fit in the bulkhead holes. Does the ‘nipple’ on these face inside the car, with all the felt parts, collar, circlip etc. on the outside, engine bay side? Is the separate panel, as described by Bob K., 120 only?

Last, but not least, can the clutch shaft etc. be assembled to the chassis after the brake master assemblies, or is access not possible once the brake parts are on there? This will indeed be fun - I’m doing all this with the painted and trimmed body in place…

I did know your involvement with Viart’s book, which we really should be referring to as ‘Viart & Payne’ I think. To someone like me, who has only ever restored sixties and seventies cars, the XK is made even more difficult by the dearth of pictorial information regarding parts assemblies, compared with those later cars. Without your book I think accurate restoration would be virtually impossible for someone who did not already know these cars inside out, so am very grateful for it. And thanks for your full and detailed responses to my questions!

I entirely agree with Roger K’s final para. Ponder how difficult it was pre-Viart